Is Cozumel cheap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, Coz is inexpensive. Cheap also has connotations of poor quality and that is not the case of Cozumel. Get an airbnb, eat local food, and find a good dive op. Dive locally, spend locally.

Shore diving is not a big draw for Coz, I would guess because of the currents once you get away from shore a bit. That's not to say it cannot or is not done. I've also heard there are very few places to get tanks for shore diving.
Actually it's not a big draw because there is comparatively little to see on a Cozumel shore dive. And yes, I know that some folks do it a lot and would contest the "little to see" assessment, but please note the "comparatively" preceding it; boat dives are the main draw. The current near the shore is variable and may or may not be the same in magnitude and/or direction as it is farther out.

There are several places to get tanks for shore diving, but they will typically not let you take them to another spot.

There is shore diving to be had in Cozumel. Blue Angel is one location I particularly like. I am pretty sure Aldora still offers shore diving to people staying at their facility north of town. Probably other locations up north also, if you can find operators willing to rent tanks and weights to you. (The first time we went to Cozumel, we stayed at a hotel up north and at the time we booked, their website said there was a dive shop on the premises. When we arrived, we found out there was nobody and were told that none operated out of the northern part of the island.) I have heard people mention shore diving at a location called Tekila but I have never done that. There's a Tekila at the south end of the island and a Tequila at the north end.

The area between Tekila and Sunset bar is the best shore diving. Blue Angel used to be pretty good for shore but since the stingray prison expanded next door it took away a very nice area that most shore divers went to. Also they used to have a second location south that lots would start their dive from. That location is permanently closed. Not much to see.

The area between Tekila and Sunset bar is the best shore diving. Blue Angel used to be pretty good for shore but since the stingray prison expanded next door it took away a very nice area that most shore divers went to. Also they used to have a second location south that lots would start their dive from. That location is permanently closed. Not much to see.
The dive at Blue Angel is still worth doing. My wife got some spectacular nighttime octopus video a few weeks ago in the area south of the stingray pen, and the pen attracts a lot of life around its base.

if that isn't Cozumel, I will still go once just to see a few Mayan ruins and find out if the food is as good as everyone here says

Don't make the trip to Coz just to see ruins there - take the ferry over to the mainland to see the Chichen Itza ruins.

It is nice to have budget trip options

Coz certainly gives you that. You may still hear from from a few SB members who get really good deals where they stay. If you're really looking for cheap, Blue Magic offers free stays at a hostel with dives - I don't have personal experience, but if I were single and traveling by myself, I could see myself trying it.

I am including a link to a SB thread where I've posted a spreadsheet with info on 38 different dive ops in Coz. It may have a few answers to some of your questions. If the link doesn't take you there, the recent spreadsheet is in post #60.

Finding a (Best) Dive Op in Cozumel

Don't make the trip to Coz just to see ruins there - take the ferry over to the mainland to see the Chichen Itza ruins.

I meant a dive trip to Cozumel fits nicely with a few days seeing Mayan ruins in Mexico, similar to how Egypt fits nicely with a short trip to Europe. A place like Curacao has less opportunity for non-diving activities.

Shore diving is not a big draw for Coz, I would guess because of the currents once you get away from shore a bit. That's not to say it cannot or is not done. I've also heard there are very few places to get tanks for shore diving. I would not consider Coz a budget destination. It is cheaper to get to and to stay than many places in the Caribbean but not cheap. Places like Bonaire can cost more to get to but your per dive cost can be as low as $20 excluding air fare and accomodations. In Cozumel you are at roughly 40-45 a tank, on Roatan you are at roughly 30-35 a tank. Caymans and T&C are considerably more. Curacao may be the best bargain relatively cheap airfare from east coast I got a truck for around $500 for ten days, and a tank at most all of the site dives was around $13 on average.
If you want to shore dive Cozumel you should have some shore diving experience in current and the ability to plan your dive depending on what conditions you find. I really enjoy shore diving there.

I was a bit confused reading the first part of this thread - comparing Coz to Indo and such... which is closed for Covid and I would put a $20 on it not opening this year. I'm desperately waiting to go on my ever-postponed Komodo trip from last year. Lodging in Indo is so cheap just quit your job and go for a month. You will save so much you won't care that you are homeless now.

RE: nitrox... I need it on a shore dive. It tastes better... that said, anyone know why I should dive with considering I would like to do 3 dives/day all on nitrox. I done with Aldora last time and had a good experience. Tho that was YEARS ago. Also stayed at Villa Aldora and snorkeled the 'house reef' quite a bit.

I was a bit confused reading the first part of this thread - comparing Coz to Indo and such... which is closed for Covid and I would put a $20 on it not opening this year. I'm desperately waiting to go on my ever-postponed Komodo trip from last year. Lodging in Indo is so cheap just quit your job and go for a month. You will save so much you won't care that you are homeless now.

RE: nitrox... I need it on a shore dive. It tastes better... that said, anyone know why I should dive with considering I would like to do 3 dives/day all on nitrox. I done with Aldora last time and had a good experience. Tho that was YEARS ago. Also stayed at Villa Aldora and snorkeled the 'house reef' quite a bit.

I am more optimistic about COVID, but considering I just got back from Egypt, a 2022 trip to Indonesia as my next trip is not out of the question. I want to plan Cozumel at the end of 2021 as a budget trip between Egypt and Indonesia, to help dive skills and to keep me from cabin fever in the dark months here in Ohio. But if the cost is comparable, I'd rather skip Cozumel altogether and see Indonesia sooner.

I am in an odd situation being a grad student as well as working for an American company were more than 2 weeks off is extremely unusual. It is much easier for me to take time in December than January. I own a hosue, my parents are here, and my brother has a 4 year old, so a 1 way ticket to Indonesia is fun to think about, but not realistic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom