Is COVID-19 changing your reefs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aviator8

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
For those that live locally and dive places like Caymans, Coz, Bonaire, Florida Keys and coast. With the diminished recreational pressure and boating traffic, do you recognize changes in your location? Better visibility, more marine life, changes to the reefs? I would be interested to see if this is occurring and how dramatic you perceive it to be. I have now seen post in other locations saying in the last 5 days COZ visibility has changed quite a bit, and in Venice the canals are clear, and Dolphins and fish are swimming them now.

Other than the mad increase of single use plastics, I can't think of any way this whole business isn't a massive benefit to the environment and the reefs...at the very least we will have some concrete evidence of exactly what happens to the environment when everyone goes on hold for 30 days...
the only fear is in tropical places that depend on tourists, they might go back to dynamite fishing if the tourism money dries up...

perhaps, but most of those areas have seen the benefits of preservation, its unlikely that tourism won't return quickly as we saw in indonesia after the terrorist attacks, 2008 etc. and there will be people on guard to maintain the status quo until then...at least to some degree. conservationists tend not to be disrupted as much..lets hope thats the case here.

I will let you know hopefully Thursday.
I plan on diving a reef i have dove over a hundred times

the only fear is in tropical places that depend on tourists, they might go back to dynamite fishing if the tourism money dries up...

I share this concern in my location... Dynamite and cyanide fishing were all too common in the past, and could make a resurgence without others out on the waters... even the law enforcement used to prevent those activities are preoccupied with shore duties...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom