Is cave diving safer than Open Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would love to hear this story in more detail…
It was completely un prompted. I was scooting along, just following the main line minding my own business and I was attacked.

No, cave dives are not safer than open water dives, but cave divers tend to be safer than open water divers. Most of the time.

The danger to scuba divers from big predators in the ocean is way, way overblown.

To stay on topic, I suspect driving to and from the dive site is more dangerous than OW or cave (assuming proper training)
You’re suspicion is incorrect.

Compare how many people drive on i75 every day vs how many people cave dive every day.

Cave diving is far more dangerous per attempt.

I don’t have any actual data so I’ll just leave it at that. I think the implicit point is valid; I.e., driving to and from is also dangerous.

There is an old thread on SB about Why do you cave dive?
My favorite answer was (paraphrased): I like to stare death in the face. And then, when I get off I-75, I like to dive in quiet, clear, fresh water.

Added: it was the Cave Diver Forum, not SB. See Shocking Risks Taken Solo.

It was completely un prompted. I was scooting along, just following the main line minding my own business and I was attacked.
Sounds like you guys need some traffic lights down there!

It's just those rebreather guys with their dry suits, p valves, electric underwear and all. They have all the time in the world down there so they get a little bored, throw in a little sensory deprivation psychosis, next thing you know...

It wasn't traffic, it was a deliberate attack.
It was horrible.

It wasn't traffic, it was a deliberate attack.
It was horrible.

And you aren't getting your reels back without paying the ransom. If you don't, you won't get anything longer than a foot back or 30.48cm.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom