Is Bonaire THAT good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very nice pics. I have been to Bonaire twice but only as a snorkeler. I am now certified and have over 100 day and night dives in on Aruba.
arubabobsnorkeling.com

I book a lot of places and as far as I'm concerned, Bonaire is over rated. There are those who like to go to the market, buy food and cook, but if I have to do that I might as well stay home. Cooking on a dive vacation is not a vacation for my wife and I. As for a deal, I can get a 7-day liveaboard on the Red Sea (Egypt) and 2 days in Cairo, 2 days in Luxor for $3600 including airfare. Bonaire costs us more than that and it does not compare. Or how about 7-day liveaboard, 5-day Nile cruise, 2-days in Cairo/Giza for $4300 including airfare.

If you are interested in the Red Sea, we can get you flights out of Europe easy. I'm still getting flights from North America around Christmas for $1500 R/T.

Website Scuba Diving Destinations - Vacation Specials - Liquid Diving Adventures

Facebook Liquid Diving Adventures | Facebook

I book a lot of places and as far as I'm concerned, Bonaire is over rated. There are those who like to go to the market, buy food and cook, but if I have to do that I might as well stay home. Cooking on a dive vacation is not a vacation for my wife and I. As for a deal, I can get a 7-day liveaboard on the Red Sea (Egypt) and 2 days in Cairo, 2 days in Luxor for $3600 including airfare. Bonaire costs us more than that and it does not compare. Or how about 7-day liveaboard, 5-day Nile cruise, 2-days in Cairo/Giza for $4300 including airfare..

Is this a per person rate? Cause Im going to Bonaire and staying at the Plaza, all inclusive, with flights for $1800.00 per, so if that is per person 3600.00 is twice 1800.00. I'm not saying Red Sea isn't worth double just saying apples/oranges.

Awsome Vid PA! I had the same thing happen at the wreck "Our Confidence" near the harbor...was totally engulfed in the bait ball! I didtn know what was up or down and in addition to the Tarpon there was a huge school of Jacks! Pegged my "cool factor" meter!!

That was up in the park right? Any problems collecting the swept divers?

As for a deal, I can get a 7-day liveaboard on the Red Sea (Egypt) and 2 days in Cairo, 2 days in Luxor for $3600 including airfare. Bonaire costs us more than that and it does not compare.

Budgets will vary. Someone (e.g. OP) hitting Bonaire from another country will have a very different perspective from mine. Since the topic of cost came up, and for others who might view the thread & wonder what the cost would be, here's a rough budget I'd use for planning a 7 day Bonaire dive vacation.

1.) Airfare - $1,100. That is to fly from Nashville to Atlanta to Bonaire and back on Delta.

2.) 7 Day Resort stay with unlimited shore diving and a (stick shift) rental truck, free nitrox upgrade - $900 to $1,000. This is rough and varies with location, size of room, whether there's a kitchenette, etc... My figure assumes at least 2 people in the room, with a kitchenette and full size fridge. I haven't done any boat dives in 6 trips; sometimes you can get a discount for dropping boat diving from the package.

3.) A fresh tank of gas near the end of the week; $77.90 a bit over a week ago for me. Let's call it $80.

4.) Eating out for supper at fairly nice restaurants - maybe $25 apiece with tip (can vary considerably, and that's a rough guess). For 7 days, $175.

5.) Groceries (I mainly eat peanut butter & jelly sandwiches and fruit in the morning; for lunch might eat out, might eat frozen pizza, etc...) - very hard for me to guess. Just to get some numbers, let's say we mostly eat in and save some money doing so. Maybe $15/person/meal for breakfast and lunch, for 7 days, so $105 for the week?

Let's ignore tip for cleaning lady at end of week, and whatever you spend on souvenirs. Be mindful on a live-aboard you may tip substantially, though.

Maybe $2,500 apiece (throwing in costs of airport food) with airfare from a non-coastal U.S. location? And I recently got 22 dives in on a 7 day trip, and could've done considerably more if we'd pushed ourselves.

Now, if you stay at Dive Hut instead of Buddy Dive, or for that matter hit a more upscale place, or spend an extra $150+ to get a rental truck with automatic transmission, or eat all your meals in, or do lots of boat dives and tip, or can fly from a coastal airport and/or use 'less known' airlines' flights going through Curacao, etc..., your total trip cost could go up or down hundreds of dollars.

And you're not stuck on a boat most all week.

And you can dive when you want to, not when somebody tells you you can.

Buuuuut, nobody helps you out of the water, greets you with warm towels, provides really good cooked meals as part of your package so most all you have to do is eat, sleep, excrete and dive, etc..., so I'm not knocking live-aboards, just pointing out why Bonaire works for some of us.

Richard.

It certanly depends where you stay...me and 2 buddies were able to rent a house on the water south of town fo 1100 which included a truck and a dive package from Wanna Dive. Diving right out the back door for say 400 bucks for the week + airfare (which varies) and food and drink?
Good bang for your $ IMHO!!

Dive Hut had a $550 per person rate for 2 staying in their 'hotel room' accommodation (no kitchenette; you get a mini-fridge) with a stick shift truck and unlimited nitrox-included shore diving via WannaDive's services.

When I went solo recently, the $885 for that package was one sweet deal, compared to what I'd have gotten at some places. It's not ocean-front so no house reef. It's a budget option, but when you're on a tight budget, that's a good thing!

Richard.

Bonaire has very good caribbean diving. I would not say it is the best. That varies by time of year and where you happen to be looking at any given time (and how good you are at spotting stuff - remember shore diving means no dive guide to point stuff out to you). I would say (in my opinion - and that of everyone I have talked to that has been to both places) that pacific diving is better than caribbean diving. I put the red sea right there with pacific diving. Palau is number one on my personal list, but that might change next year when we go to Indonesia. A good friend of mine just travels and dives. He is a bit of a snob lol. He said they need to rename the great barrier reef to the good barrier reef. He now only dives Palau and Indonesia. He considers it a waste of time and effort to dive the caribbean.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom