Question Is AOW a waste of time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My route was 0W-nitrox-adv nitrox- technical nitrox- deep air- tri-mix.
BPW was the best money I've spent diving.

My take:
1. BP/W & a reg set to start. Nothing like knowing your lead requirements and where everything is located.
2. AOW to keep any boat from discriminating against you. It's also a prereq for the tech path under both PADI (since you mentioned them) and TDI.
3. Nitrox to increase bottom time and it's a prereq for the tech path. Can be combined with AOW I think.
< Get some experience just diving>
4. Drysuit to extend your season locally, and it's an easy form of redundant buoyancy for the tech path.
<Significant experience diving in a drysuit>
5. Rescue - expand your awareness and situational awareness. Not strictly needed but I've never heard anyone regret taking it. (Required for the tech path with PADI.)
5. ITT/AN/DP (TDI) or Tec40/45/50 (PADI) to improve buoyancy/propulsion and learn to do mandatory deco & gas switching. (Will be useful prior to starting cave training if done in Florida.)
6. Apprentice Cave, <practice>, Full Cave
<Cave dive or open water dive as you please, basically have fun while you save money for CCR>
7. CCR: Helitrox then Normoxic then Hypoxic
7.1 Possibly CCR cave after helitrox & 50-100 hrs
Thanks.

I have Nitrox, and the consensus so far has been to take AOW both since it is a prerequisite for most agencies and to prevent discrimination on the dive boat.

Now the big question especially as a Great Lakes diver is the prioritization between AOW, Drysuit, and gear; I'd probably err on the side of "dive more" but it all seems to go in a circle...if I have gear I'd be more prone to dive more since I don't have to deal with janky rental gear...if I buy gear I have less money to go dive...if I dive more I have to rent gear that would be better spent on getting good equipment...

Thanks.

I have Nitrox, and the consensus so far has been to take AOW both since it is a prerequisite for most agencies and to prevent discrimination on the dive boat.

Now the big question especially as a Great Lakes diver is the prioritization between AOW, Drysuit, and gear; I'd probably err on the side of "dive more" but it all seems to go in a circle...if I have gear I'd be more prone to dive more since I don't have to deal with janky rental gear...if I buy gear I have less money to go dive...if I dive more I have to rent gear that would be better spent on getting good equipment...

Serious question, how many dives do you have?

Talking about rental gear and mod3 CCR is a little odd. If you’re still renting you have a LONG ways to go , a lot of stuff to see first, and a ridiculous amount of money to spend.

I’m not sure Mod3 should even be in your vernacular.

ETA: you’ve gotta be trolling , well played

Serious question, how many dives do you have?

Talking about rental gear and mod3 CCR is a little odd. If you’re still renting you have a LONG ways to go , a lot of stuff to see first, and a ridiculous amount of money to spend.

I’m not sure Mod3 should even be in your vernacular.
What happened to "begin with the end in mind?"

I am a recent grad and haven't had the liquidity to dive at the frequency I'd like.

I am well aware that diving at that level takes many years and a great deal of expense, even for those who dive frequently.

I am a recent grad and haven't had the liquidity to dive at the frequency I'd like.

I am well aware that diving at that level takes many years and a great deal of expense, even for those who dive frequently.
If this whole thing is important enough to you, take a second job. You either want it bad enough to make it a priority or you don’t. Which is it?

I did OW and drysuit at the same time. Start saving NOW.

Now the big question especially as a Great Lakes diver is the prioritization between AOW, Drysuit, and gear;
IMO, gear (BP/W+reg) then AOW. Odds are you that don't remember or weren't taught some stuff in OW that would be useful, so the time doing AOW won't be wasted. Have some fun diving but save for a drysuit. Perhaps look for a used one in the summer sales if you're a common size. I would also think that renting a wetsuit is cheaper than a BCD+reg (and summer is coming). Used is a good route on the gear.

You have less than 2 dozen dives. I dunno mate perhaps see if you even *like* diving a year or two and 100 dives from now.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom