Is anyone going to be on island at the end of the year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UPDATE! Since Delta saw fit to move their flight from the 27th to the 28th, we will not arrive until then. 10 night vacation just became 9 nights. Bamboo Bali was happy to adjust our reservation but that does not make me any happier about losing a day of sun and warmth in the darkest part of the year.

UPDATE! Since Delta saw fit to move their flight from the 27th to the 28th, we will not arrive until then. 10 night vacation just became 9 nights. Bamboo Bali was happy to adjust our reservation but that does not make me any happier about losing a day of sun and warmth in the darkest part of the year.

Looks like we might miss each other, then. Too bad. Anyone else going to be there over Christmas week?

@wwguy -- shoot me a PM with contact info? My wife also likes a lighter dive schedule than I do, so I might be looking for a buddy every now and then. We'd also be happy to meet up for drinks or a meal.

To anyone who is considering diving the east side, I will be doing so the east side on December 31st. My first time on that side of the island. Super excited!

I'm seriously considering booking a last minute trip to Bonaire myself for around this time. About Dec 23th thru Jan 6, which fits best price and my availability. I'm shooting in the dark here as a single diver with no experience in the Carribean (other than Belieze and Cozumel). I have dove mostly in Asia and Hawaii and the Mediteranean. I have always preferred boat diving (other than some excellent shore diving in East Timor). But I'd prefer 2-3 guaranteed dives per day, and have trouble seeing how hooking up a plan with divers on this board – excellent though you may be – would really work. Also I've got no idea where to stay yet. So… opinons? Should I just look for a boat dive situation? Or trust it will all work out?

I'm seriously considering booking a last minute trip to Bonaire myself for around this time. About Dec 23th thru Jan 6, which fits best price and my availability. I'm shooting in the dark here as a single diver with no experience in the Carribean (other than Belieze and Cozumel). I have dove mostly in Asia and Hawaii and the Mediteranean. I have always preferred boat diving (other than some excellent shore diving in East Timor). But I'd prefer 2-3 guaranteed dives per day, and have trouble seeing how hooking up a plan with divers on this board – excellent though you may be – would really work. Also I've got no idea where to stay yet. So… opinons? Should I just look for a boat dive situation? Or trust it will all work out?

I can't give you advice from experience, but if you search for something like "solo diver Bonaire," there are a bunch of threads discussing what your options might be. For instance:
Bonaire for a solo diver
Should Bonaire Even Be Considered For Solo Travellers?
Solo Diving Bonaire

I can't give you advice from experience, but if you search for something like "solo diver Bonaire," there are a bunch of threads discussing what your options might be.
Thanks for those links. I'm slowly reviewing them. :) Unfortunately the term "solo diver" and "solo traveller" are not the same thing. I'm the latter, not the former. I've only dove without a buddy once in nearly 30 years. It was fine in quite safe conditions, but I wouldn't want to do it generally.

Thanks for those links. I'm slowly reviewing them. :) Unfortunately the term "solo diver" and "solo traveller" are not the same thing. I'm the latter, not the former. I've only dove without a buddy once in nearly 30 years. It was fine in quite safe conditions, but I wouldn't want to do it generally.

Agreed, though those links all seem to mean it in the "solo traveler" sense.

I suggest posting directly into the Bonaire forum, and not this thread. You'll probably get more eyes on it that way. There's another thread going now in the Bonaire forum that's a solo traveler looking to hook up with buddies (different dates than you).

I think the first thing you need to establish is a place to stay. This is the busiest time of the year and you may be best off doing a room via AirBNB. The resorts are probably pretty full and certainly not cheap. After that, get a vehicle. The island has run out of rentals before. Once you have that sorted, determine your tank supplier. They all offer boat dives from some of their locations. Which one you choose may be dictated by where you find lodging. If you are interested in diving the east side, I will be doing so on New Years Eve with East Coast Divers. I hear it is awesome and if it lives up to billing, may do it again. I am happy to connect to do some diving. My wife does not have as strong of a dive instinct as I so I often am looking for a buddy.

II will be doing so on New Years Eve with East Coast Divers. I hear it is awesome and if it lives up to billing, may do it again. I am happy to connect to do some diving. My wife does not have as strong of a dive instinct as I so I often am looking for a buddy.
Hi Darook (and everyone here in this thread).

I'm actually going to make this happen. Booked airfare arr Dec 30, leave Jan 6. About to book a place and truck. (Any strong opinion about SunRentals Bonaire or Djambo or Tropical Inn??) Now just to arrange dive package. Waiting for info from Buddy Dives attached to SunRentals. Djambo uses other operators. Tropical Inn would be budget option, haven't contacted yet.

I looked at East Coast Diving. According to their online res system, seems like they've got lots of space, including NYE (you mean afternoon 1 tank on Dec 31?)

Once I get the hotel & truck situation booked, I'll hope to set some buddy days with y'all. :) Darook – btw I grew up in Hopkins.

Sweet! Of the places you mention, the only one I have seen is Djambo and it looks very nice. If you get your truck through AB Carrental you may be best off getting your tanks there too. They appear to have a nice set up.

Back
Top Bottom