Is Aeris Out Of The Game And Should We Just Replace Them Now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

US$19.95 for the kit!!!
"Insane" is an understatement.

Well, it is marked down from the $24.95 MSRP. And it is a scuba shop.

Why would you object to paying $20 for a $3 battery kit but think it is OK to pay $30 for a regulator service kit that contains less than $5 worth of parts?

Well, it is marked down from the $24.95 MSRP. And it is a scuba shop.

Why would you object to paying $20 for a $3 battery kit but think it is OK to pay $30 for a regulator service kit that contains less than $5 worth of parts?
The key is availability!
I can get those battery kit for under US$2.00 without any issue in HK. But I can't get the Apek's HP seat, o-rings(EPDM) etc etc no matter how hard I tried except buying the service kit from the dealer. Perhaps you can point out where I can lay my hands on some Apeks compatible HP seat and diaphragm.

If you have to have a regulator that uses a proprietary seat then you are probably SOL. But if you are willing to use regs that use more standardized seats, alternative sources are available at reasonable prices.

But if you are willing to use regs that use more standardized seats, alternative sources are available at reasonable prices.
Location and location.
It is all depend on your country of abode! If I want viton o-rings I have to order them overseas!
Reasonable prices become unreasonable if air-freight is considered.

Last edited:
There's nothing special about the o-ring or the battery. If you can figure out the size and durometer of the o-ring, you can get a pack of 10 for $3 or so. At that price even if it takes a few tries to get the size right you're still ahead. And the battery from Walmart.

Edited to add that according to some threads on here, the XR-1 uses a 026 size o-ring.

Last edited:
US$19.95 for the kit!!!
"Insane" is an understatement.
insane or gullible?

The battery can be bought anywhere - try a dollar store. There is likely no need to change the oring unless you have damaged it yourself. My first puck computer went 20 years on the original oring (then i sold the computer).

insane or gullible?
"Gullible" is too strong a word here.
If I did not venture into tec dive I would probably still send my regs away for service.
If Scubapro(HK) did not increase the charge from US$40.00 to US$100.00 to replace the battery of my Aladin I would never seek out any alternative. I can do it for US$10.00 myself nowadays.
If I did not come to SB I would probably learn/know a lot less about scuba diving.

Naive/ignorant is more appropriate.

Last edited:
Agreed. Naive is the point we all start at.

After a while our BS filter should kick in. If it doesn't, then you have progressed to gullible.

My eye opener occurred when I first started underwater photography. I was astounded by the nonsense I was being told. This caused me to reassess and research all other things scuba related. The industry appears to run on FUD.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom