Is a Zeagle BCD all that?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't want to get tomatoes thrown at me for this statement, but is this site seems to speak more about back inflation style BCD's over any other kind. I'm just attempting to learn what I can and everything I seem to read indicates back inflation is the way to go. Not much said about jacket or vest style BCD and I'm not sure why? Is it the fact the better diver one becomes he or she is naturally lead to this type of a BCD, kind of a natural progression if you would.

As my wife has been looking at all the time I've spent on this subject she thought wow what a great Christmas gift for her hubby. I told her it's like me buying her a bra, so many types, kinds, varieties it is really difficult to just go out my buy one. My local dive shop carries no inventory of BCD's so to try out is out of the question. Think I'm going to just have to go with a well educated decision and make a purchase, unless ..someone out there is willing to loan me one????

Type of BC really has nothing to do with how competent of a diver one is. It all comes down to whatever you're most comfortable with, some people prefer back inflation, others prefer jacket type.

If you were closer I'd be more than happy to let you try out my Zeagle back inflation & my older jacket type (which I'll be selling soon).

Type of BC really has nothing to do with how competent of a diver one is. It all comes down to whatever you're most comfortable with, some people prefer back inflation, others prefer jacket

Big A,

The quote above is right on the money. I was thinking about your question on the rear weight pocket post. You asked me what made me decide to go with back inflate. I would like to persue more technical type diving. I live in Ontario right in the heart of the great lakes. Most of the nicer wrecks to dive are deep. Which of course requires heavy and more gear. Basically being comfortable with the back inflate keeps my options open. I can run doubles or switch to a backplate/wing with no troubles. If you only wanted to stay with rec diving as quoted above it probabily dosen't matter as long as its comfortable. Hope this helps!

Jeff

Thanks for posting to this thread everyone - learning lots.:popcorn:

Ask yourself this. How much time do you spend above water, per dive, standing with your tank and BC on. How much time do you spend under the water weightless? Carrying a few extra pounds isn't the big deal. It's having to pump up your BC more because of that extra weight that adds the drag.

You ever see pictures of the technical divers? With 3, 4, 5 (or more) tanks on them? Ever notice that these people almost ALWAYS have that metal plate and no padding? The heavier the gear, the more likely they are to go with that metal plate and no padding. If it was uncomfortable, do you think this is behavior you would see by the most experienced and advanced divers out there?

When I started looking at dive gear, I found it very telling that the most experienced divers often wore gear that looked VERY different than the gear new divers wore. Much less padding, pockets, retractors, etc. You might want to explore the reasons behind this.

I guess I wouldn't really know until I tried something without padding.
Good answer :cheers:

I don't want to get tomatoes thrown at me for this statement, but is this site seems to speak more about back inflation style BCD's over any other kind. I'm just attempting to learn what I can and everything I seem to read indicates back inflation is the way to go. Not much said about jacket or vest style BCD and I'm not sure why? Is it the fact the better diver one becomes he or she is naturally lead to this type of a BCD, kind of a natural progression if you would.

Lots of vocal folks like black inflation in general and BP/wing in particular. Much of what you hear about them is an attempt to convince people to switch from a vest. One problem with vests is they have been mainstream for decades. As a result, they've been tinkered with quite a bit over the years. It's now very difficult to find a well designed vest. One that is still made well is the Scubapro Classic Sport. Do not confuse it with the Classic Plus, which is, IMO, not well designed at all. Most trap air, most have padding and cummerbunds. Back inflate is becoming much the same. You started by asking about Zeagles. Most folks who dive Zeagles love them, but IMO, they could be easily improved by shedding all the padding and moving the dump valve to the highest point. It's much easier to find a BP/wing without "features" that detract from the BCs effectiveness. Some have added padding, but they are the exception rather than the rule.

Before you go totally anti-padding, you may want to consider where you are diving. If you have to take a hike before you get in the water, maybe a little padding isn't so bad.

As for the drag, there's one thing I wonder. To explain, I should mention I also happen to be an avid backpacker. There are backpackers out there who are so obsessed with being ultralight that they actually cut their toothbrushes in half. Sure, half a toothbrush weighs less than a whole toothbrush, but are you really going to notice it?

I wonder if drag in scuba is the same thing. Sure, if I'm towing a parachute behind me, I'm going to notice that. But is there really that much of a difference if say, my flashlight is dangling (which I don't do for other reasons) or I have a bit of padding on my shoulders? Are we humans really even moving fast enough under water to worry about such things?

I'm no scientist, and I'm not trying to knock you here Walter, so please don't take it as an attack on you. I'm just curious as to whether or not these little things really matter, or if you're essentially cutting your toothbrush in half.

Not sure what BC he has/had but Zeagles don't use and to my knowledge never have used velcro to secure their main weight pockets...at least not to hold them in. Small amounts are used inside of the weight bags (yellow) and to hold the ripcord handle in place but none to directly hold the weights in, many other BC however did use velcro as part of the weight system. They do use it for trim pockets however.

My dad's Zeagle Ranger had velcro on the bottom of the weight pouches and no ripcord. Obviously Zeagle has corrected this problem from what I have read.

My local dive shop carries no inventory of BCD's so to try out is out of the question. Think I'm going to just have to go with a well educated decision and make a purchase, unless ..someone out there is willing to loan me one????

I'm not sure what part of Ohio you are from, but if you are willing to drive to Pittsburgh, PA I would be happy to let you dive a number of BCDs in our pool. I won't claim to be an expert but I will answer all your questions to the best of my ability
412-262-2664

You obviously do not understand drag.

Your Concept of drag does not apply to the recreational diver vacationing maybe three times per year. These are 75% of my customers so excuse me for adding a contrary opinion.

Before you go totally anti-padding, you may want to consider where you are diving. If you have to take a hike before you get in the water, maybe a little padding isn't so bad.

As for the drag, there's one thing I wonder. To explain, I should mention I also happen to be an avid backpacker. There are backpackers out there who are so obsessed with being ultralight that they actually cut their toothbrushes in half. Sure, half a toothbrush weighs less than a whole toothbrush, but are you really going to notice it?

I wonder if drag in scuba is the same thing. Sure, if I'm towing a parachute behind me, I'm going to notice that. But is there really that much of a difference if say, my flashlight is dangling (which I don't do for other reasons) or I have a bit of padding on my shoulders? Are we humans really even moving fast enough under water to worry about such things?

I'm no scientist, and I'm not trying to knock you here Walter, so please don't take it as an attack on you. I'm just curious as to whether or not these little things really matter, or if you're essentially cutting your toothbrush in half.

There are times when it is cutting your toothbrush in half. On a nice easy little dive with no current, it's really not a big deal especially if you are not in a hurry and there's really no reason to get in a hurry. OTOH, I don't switch rigs depending on current. I dive the same BC in no current, in mild current, in moderate current, in strong current and in kick butt current. As the current increases, you'll notice the difference more and more. Lots of folks with whom I dive have padded BCs. When there's no current, they are happy as clams, when we're in moderate current, they think it's screaming. I move about fairly easily while they are holding on with both hands.

UncleJoes:
Your Concept of drag does not apply to the recreational diver vacationing maybe three times per year. These are 75% of my customers so excuse me for adding a contrary opinion.

Interesting. I was under the mistaken impression physical laws applied to us all.

Most of my diving right now is beach diving. Boat is on the backburner for now.
I wonder if anybody has done any like drag tests to see the impact of a bc with and then without padding to see the difference in drag.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom