Is a Zeagle BCD all that?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zeagle is a brand, not a style of BC. All styles of BC have excellent models and poor models. Some prefer a vest, others prefer back inflate, some love BP/wing while a rare few won't give up their horse collars. All of the styles work quite well IF they are well designed. If they are poorly designed (quite common) they don't work nearly as well. I've used all styles of BCs. I've found excellent BCs in them all and poor ones in them all.

Two advantages of the BP/wing are: 1. you can fit it exactly to you regardless of your size and how are you are to fit. You can also change wings if you move to large doubles and need more lift.

Common myths:

Back inflate and BP/wings push you face down in the water.

You can only use doubles with a BP/wing (you can wear doubles with any BC as long as the BC has enough lift).

I'm much more concerned about how well a BC is designed than which particular style it may be.

Things to look for in a BC:

1. No padding - Padding requires additional weight, yet compresses at depth so it no longer cushions. Additionally, air in a BC lifts the BCs weight off your back rendering padding redundant. Padding also increases drag, making dives in current more difficult and increasing your air consumption.

2. No cummerbund - Cummerbunds increase drag.

3. Dump valve at the highest point of the BC. - Inflate the BC and hold it up as if you were wearing it at the surface. Is the dump valve at the highest point? If not, look for a different BC. If it is, turn it as if you were swimming in a prone position. Is there a dump valve at the highest point? A good BC will pass both tests. If the dump valve is not at the highest point, it will trap air, requiring contortions to dump all the air or additional lead. A nice extra is a right shoulder dump valve and dump valves at the bottom.

4. No fabric covering of the bladder. - These BCs are sometimes called "bladderless" or "single bladder BCs." The fabric covering creates drag in current.

Things to look for in a BC:

1. No padding - Padding requires additional weight, yet compresses at depth so it no longer cushions. Additionally, air in a BC lifts the BCs weight off your back rendering padding redundant. Padding also increases drag, making dives in current more difficult and increasing your air consumption.

3. Dump valve at the highest point of the BC. - Inflate the BC and hold it up as if you were wearing it at the surface. Is the dump valve at the highest point? If not, look for a different BC. If it is, turn it as if you were swimming in a prone position. Is there a dump valve at the highest point? A good BC will pass both tests. If the dump valve is not at the highest point, it will trap air, requiring contortions to dump all the air or additional lead. A nice extra is a right shoulder dump valve and dump valves at the bottom.

4. No fabric covering of the bladder. - These BCs are sometimes called "bladderless" or "single bladder BCs." The fabric covering creates drag in current.

#3 is the only true advice for ALL styles of divers. It may be true for some. For a recreational diver padding and cummerbunds add comfort: which IMO, next to quality materials and workmanship, is THE most important feature for a recreational diver.

By that logic drysuits and 7mms cause drag but, in cold water, I'm still gonna wear one!

If you are that worried about drag invest in high efficiency fins like Volos or a set of splits.

To the original topic,
Try a back inflate at least twice before you decide to buy any BCD. I prefer a Jacket for recreational diving but my dad loves his back inflate. (He didn't like the Ranger's weight pouches though, the velcro wore out quickly and they kept coming out.)- and before I get a bunch of angry protesters, I am NOT saying that All Zeagle are bad! His 2000 model was.

Back inflate are more open in front, tend to be lighter and easier to pack when travelling, and make the transition from Rec to Tech easier. as well as what others have mentioned.

ALWAYS try before you buy. Know what you are getting and what you intend to do with it.

Zeagle makes good stuff and they are made in USA...just down the street from me in Zephyr Hills, FL. They started out making parachute harnesses and then branched out to scuba stuff. Can't go wrong with their bc's IMHO. Zeagle=zephyr+eagle

For a recreational diver padding and cummerbunds add comfort:
Only padding on the shoulders add comfort because it's only effective while walking with the gear.

By that logic drysuits and 7mms cause drag but, in cold water, I'm still gonna wear one!

Everything adds drag. I want to keep drag to a minimum. It's impossible to eliminate all drag.

If you are that worried about drag invest in high efficiency fins like Volos or a set of splits.

You obviously do not understand drag.

I never thought about that regarding question #1.
Assuming the extra weight is very minimal I would prefer the extra comfort.

BP/W I am trying to educate myself more about this and the different setups.
I noticed some backplates that have the straps to wear it. Won't that get uncomfortable having straight metal to your back? Think that made sense.

[COLOR="Blue I prefer a Jacket for recreational diving but my dad loves his back inflate. (He didn't like the Ranger's weight pouches though, the velcro wore out quickly and they kept coming out.)- and before I get a bunch of angry protesters, I am NOT saying that All Zeagle are bad! His 2000 model was.

[/COLOR]

Not sure what BC he has/had but Zeagles don't use and to my knowledge never have used velcro to secure their main weight pockets...at least not to hold them in. Small amounts are used inside of the weight bags (yellow) and to hold the ripcord handle in place but none to directly hold the weights in, many other BC however did use velcro as part of the weight system. They do use it for trim pockets however.

I never thought about that regarding question #1.
Assuming the extra weight is very minimal I would prefer the extra comfort.

Ask yourself this. How much time do you spend above water, per dive, standing with your tank and BC on. How much time do you spend under the water weightless? Carrying a few extra pounds isn't the big deal. It's having to pump up your BC more because of that extra weight that adds the drag.

Won't that get uncomfortable having straight metal to your back? Think that made sense.

You ever see pictures of the technical divers? With 3, 4, 5 (or more) tanks on them? Ever notice that these people almost ALWAYS have that metal plate and no padding? The heavier the gear, the more likely they are to go with that metal plate and no padding. If it was uncomfortable, do you think this is behavior you would see by the most experienced and advanced divers out there?

When I started looking at dive gear, I found it very telling that the most experienced divers often wore gear that looked VERY different than the gear new divers wore. Much less padding, pockets, retractors, etc. You might want to explore the reasons behind this.

I have three bc's - i started out with the zeagle ranger, totally great bc, never had any issues with it. I have purchased a diverite transpac a couple of years ago, it too rocks, now i use my zeagle as a back up.
i also have a jacket style bc, i use it in swimming pools and any dive that i will be on the surface alot or any dirty, funky water.

I don't want to get tomatoes thrown at me for this statement, but is this site seems to speak more about back inflation style BCD's over any other kind. I'm just attempting to learn what I can and everything I seem to read indicates back inflation is the way to go. Not much said about jacket or vest style BCD and I'm not sure why? Is it the fact the better diver one becomes he or she is naturally lead to this type of a BCD, kind of a natural progression if you would.

As my wife has been looking at all the time I've spent on this subject she thought wow what a great Christmas gift for her hubby. I told her it's like me buying her a bra, so many types, kinds, varieties it is really difficult to just go out my buy one. My local dive shop carries no inventory of BCD's so to try out is out of the question. Think I'm going to just have to go with a well educated decision and make a purchase, unless ..someone out there is willing to loan me one????

My local dive shop carries no inventory of BCD's so trying one out is out of the question.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom