Is a USB Cable for PP2 & V180 Worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cddfamily

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a Pro Plus 2 and my son is using the Veo180. I have emotionally accepted that I will need to spend 90$ for a USB cable with a 5$ PIC microcontroller doing the protocol conversion.

But, 90% of the reviews I read say the cable to computer connection is unreliable and you need to hold it while trying to download/type. OceanLog is OK, but not close to competitors.

My question are:
Is it worth it?
Is the disconnect an irritation or did you finally just stop using it?
With a 90% customer dissatisfaction, does Oceanic plan on fixing the connection in the near future, i.e. should I wait?

Thanks for your inputs,
cddfamily

Where did you get the '90% customer dissatisfaction' number?

I have a VT3 with the USB cable and have NEVER had a disconnect due to not holding it. My wife's Vyper on the other hand...that one you need to hold it.

The cable is a different version of the cable for the PP2 and Veo 180, but it looks pretty much the same. Just wondering where all these unhappy customers are...

I just set my computer on the desk, and it stays connected OK

It's worth it if you want to download your dives, to save, and refer back to using Oceanic, or another dive log software

There is plenty of discussion of the software and any limitations right here in this forum .. here's one ... http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/oceanic/246142-oceanlog-2-2-2-still-not-ready-primetime.html

That said, I use it, and they are improving the software

I searched reviews from ~ 3 vendor sites totaling >> 50 reviews and most of the comments are positive about having the download capability, but nearly 9/10 list the connection as problematic. The connector is what I meant about being disatisfied. I want the benefit of learning from analyzing my dives and that requires the cable. Since on its entirity most are positive about the product, I will be buying one. Thanks for your inputs.

I'm not sure my comments are applicable but I think they all use a similar three-pin connector. I have the Versa Pro (1.0) and have no connection issues at all. I download to OceanLog and then export to Scubase. Scubase is the best $50 I've spent on dive gear. :)

I have a VT3 and an Atom 2.0 connection has never been an issue. Oceanic's oceanlog software on the other hand has had and continues to have issues. Not that it effects the dive computer but if you are looking to keep an electronic dive log you may be dissapointed.

deepstops,

Thank you for the information on scubase. I went to their website and must say it appears to be the most complete divelog software that I have seen vs. sw from the dive computer manufacturers - not just oceanlog. How difficult was it to export from oceanlog to scubase?

RAWalker,
As long as I can reliably get the data out of my PP2 computer and into oceanlog then I can use scubase or another 3rd party sw as my electronic dive log. Do you see a problem in this approach?

I do notice a trend that VTx and Atomx owners seem to experience very few mechanical connection problems, while the Veox and PP2 folks see it as an irritation.

I am sure the engineer in me is overanalyzing all of this and I just need to buy the cable and use it. I am trying to avoid gadgetitous from creeping into my dive hobby.

thanks again for all of the replies,

deepstops,

Thank you for the information on scubase. I went to their website and must say it appears to be the most complete divelog software that I have seen vs. sw from the dive computer manufacturers - not just oceanlog. How difficult was it to export from oceanlog to scubase?

thanks again for all of the replies,

It's a piece of cake. Once you've downloaded your dives into Oceanlog and added any info there (dive site, dive buddy, and dive type), exit Oceanlog and save as prompted.

Then open Scubase and select import dives. It always goes back to the same folder you last used to find the latest Oceanlog archive (back-up) file. Open the latest file and it will display all the dives and pick the ones you want to import. The entire process takes ten minutes max. The beautiful thing I liked best was I had previously used and downloaded my dives using a Suunto and an Oceanic DataPlus. Scubase let me merge all three logs into a single electronic dive log. Additionally you get lifetime upgrades.

The best thing I like about Scubase is that the data and its format on the screen and in printouts
is totally customizable.
Want an extra field in the database, simply add it. Don't want/need a field, delete it.
Want to move the fields around on the screen, go for it.
Want to customize your printouts, no problem.

--- bill

I have a PP2 and my wife has an Atom 1.0, both with data cables. I'll agree that the connection on the PP2 is not very good. It's definitely not a problem either though. I just connect it and gently set it down and I am good to go. The Atom 1.0 cable actually clamps around the watch so it's a really solid connection.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom