Is a SKIN the same as a 1mm suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't recommend poltpropylene jumpsuits, for a lot of reasons. They are bulky, tend to stiffen, are not that flexible, and in general are the worst of both worlds.. They are close to worthless.
Real skins are strechable spandex, providing no temperature protection, but protecting from jellyfish and other stingers, sunburn, and minor scrapes. Get a good one. They have zero boyancy and can be folded almost to pocket size.

1mm neoprene, microprene, etc, provide more protection from everything, plus a little warmth. They take up more room, but are very useful in warm water, and have very little bouyancy. I use both skins (only lycra /nylon suits are really skins, correctly speaking), and ultrathin neoprene in the tropics, and even here in the North East when temps in shallow water get up near 80F. Skins are also as slick as silk, and make putting on a neoprene dive suit of any thickness extremely easy when they are used as the first layer.

Good skins run about $40 to $50, less on sale. One half to 1 mm neoprene ultra thin sells for about $80 to $120, but prices vary widely based on manufacturer, sales, etc.

Skins are very flexible, but any thickness of neoprene has to be a good fit. A 3x lycra skin will fit almost anybody, however large. Scubapro makes ultra thin neoprene in a wide range of sizes.

thanks!

That 1mm I posted is Neoprene, so I guess that would work. But its 1mm, I never get cold so id even like to find it in a .5 if possible.

skin is often used to refer to anything thin including lycra, polypropylene, or .5- 1mm neoprene. I've used them all and prefer neoprene skins at this point. More durable, warmer, more protection than lycra. Also easier to get on than lycra when damp. More comfortable than polypropylene. I wouldn't worry about the difference between .5 and 1 mm neoprene, I doubt you will find 1mm overly warm.

I just went through making this decision and finally decided that a microprene suit was going to offer me more of the protection that I wanted. A lycra suit is basically a body stocking of swimsuit material. 1mm of neoprene made more sense to me for protection from scrapes and stings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom