Is a semi-dry Wetsuit even worth the extra $?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nfs_127

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Here in Colorado the water stays pretty cold until late in the summer so I need something warm. Also a favorite vacation spot for my wife and I is the Pacific Northwest so need something that will work for cold dives there.

I've searched around about Semi-drys but seem to have heard two things... That semi-dry wetsuits are a joke and pretty much are just a way for the manufacture to raise the price tag. In other reviews and posts people say they are great and work almost as well as a dry suit. So is a semi-dry actually a good compromise over a dry suit for 45-65 degree water or should I honestly save up for a drysuit?

Well here you have posed one of the more pertinent and most difficult of questions. Thermal gear is the most important you will buy. 45o is dry and 65o is wet. I'm very happy with what anyone chooses, as after their research and preference so should others. Most important is fit, so all mine are tailor made. These and masks are the only gear I buy new. They fit so well I perspire in some so I let water in if required. Some folk dive dry all year. Semi dry has added seals different design, glued seams hidden stitching? Some wetsuits have similar. Some folk dive wet all year. You would really have to sprint around wet in 45o. There are endless combinations. Everyone should eventually own at least two suits after having tried a few. I cannot answer your question. Self donning is an option I consider mandatory.

If you are going to go wet, I have found that the warmest wetsuit is the SCUBAPRO Nova Scotia. It is a 6.5mm Semi-dry that has neoprene seals on the arms, legs, & neck. The main reason besides that for warmth is that they use an actual drysuit zipper. most manufacturers that make semidrys use a regular zipper and that is a main entry point for water. We sell them in our shop and our divers love them (for a wetsuit).

My preference is a Drysuit. I personally dive dry everywhere I go, I no longer own a wetsuit. The Drysuit of choice for me is either a D.U.I. TLS350 or Flex Extreme. I have had the TLS350 for 5 years and thoroughly enjoy the flexibility. It was time for a new suit and I went with the New Flex Extreme and that has the same flexibility but a little tougher material. The plus to both of these suits is that they are very versatile. Light weight enough to travel and can do everything from ice diving to tropical, just adjust your undergarment accordingly. If you go with either of these suits, the preferred setup is Turbo Soles, 2 Bellows Velcro Pockets & CF200 13.5 Knee Pads. Right now D.U.I. is doing a promotion for FREE Zip Seals. Feel free to contact me if you need anymore help.

My vote, save up...GO DRY!

If you go with either of these suits, the preferred setup is Turbo Soles...

My preference too, but that's because you and I do the same kind of boat diving and limited, easy-entrance shore diving. However, if someone is doing shore diving involving climbing over significantly rocky entrances... or hoofing through the woods/jungle to a hole in the ground... Rock Boots or similar may well be preferred over Turbo Soles

I will second the Scubapro Nova Scotia as a great semi-dry. I have one for the dead of winter spearfishing in the Gulf of Mexico where the water bottoms out in the high fifties. It is one less thing to mess with while trying to hunt as compared to a dry suit and I don't worry about tearing it up pulling fish out of a hole. Best of all, after three dives I am still comfortable for an admitted warm water whimp. I am FAR warmer than with a 7 mil and hooded vest. I love it.

HOWEVER!!!

I went with the semi-dry as I really only use it maybe 5-7 times a year. Before moving to Indo I worked for a great Scubapro dealer and with a nice discount it was hundreds of dollars less than a cheap dry suit. If I remember right- even at full price it was about $400 bucks cheaper than a decent new drysuit. I could not justify spending a grand or so on a suit I really would only use a handful of times each year.

So... If I was in cold water all year like you are, I would dive dry for sure. The advantages (warmer, redundant buoyancy, it will grow with your diving if you go that route) outweigh the disadvantages (price). If I did all my diving in Colorado and the PNW, buying a dry suit is a no-brainer.

If this helps, I was diving in a 7mil Henderson Hyperstretch Wetsuit (Farmer John/Jacket type, so 14 mil across core with 3 mil gloves and 3mil hood) and my buddy was diving a Pinnacle Semi-dry in 45 degree water this weekend. We were both fine for two 40 minute dives.

I will admit the only part of my body touching the water was my lip area and they were a little numb after the dive. I don't think a dry suit would have helped that though.

This is the coldest I've dove in a wetsuit and was surprised I didn't freeze.

I dive the pinnacle kodiak semi-dry. I do like it and think it much better then a rental farmer john. I am looking at getting a dry suit still but my water is much colder than 65 degrees (usually in the 40's and 50's).

I have a semi-dry wetsuit and a drysuit. Seems that I use the semi-dry more often than not diving in cold Northern Calif. I use a custom AQUA FLITE skin in semi-dry and it seems to work out well for me. Aqua Flite makes good suits, good prices, and good service if that's the direction your thinking.

Check them out here- Custom Wetsuits, Scuba Diving Skins, Parkas from AquaFlite

I have seen others dive in wetsuit's and Semi dry suit's in waters same temp and some lower. The thing to remeber is you are still getting wet in the Semi Dry suit and If it's cold on the surface it will make a world of difference. Where as the drysuit when you come out of the water unless there is a leak you will be dry making the interval a lot better.

I have personally never dove a semi-Dry but do have a drysuit. I can tell from the people I have spoken to that own them the srysuit is absolutly the way to go. Especially in the colder waters as your going to dive. The dive itself is important but so is the surface interval when making repetitive Dives.

As far as Brands go you will get 10 different answers from 10 different people depending on what suit/Brand they use. Like most scuba equipment it's personal prefrence and you can find ways to like/Dislike something. I Dive the Bare Tri-lam HD Tech Dry.

For me I was comparing (Dui Tls350 -Pinnacle-Bare) After Trying out the Pinnacle did not like it. I tried the DUI suit out it felt great. I also tried the Bare liked that too. Personally I liked the tougher looking exterior of the Bare Suit. Also the fact that the Bare comes with a lot of standards that DUI charges for and in the end I believe all I would have been paying for was a name. So i saved $800 and Have had my suit over a year and been very Happy.

So in all Personally I would say save your money and get a Drysuit I believe you will be much happier. With Drysuits you can simply modify your undergarments according to the water temp to make sure yourself comfortable add layers for colder waters or remove some for warmer.

As others have said, you still get wet in a "semi dry" (personally I dont understand this term, its a bit like been semi pregnant - you are either wet or dry, pregnant or not!..) but thats an argument for another day :D - the thermal ability of an exposure suit is based on neoprene thickness and fit - thats really it, the value of taped seams, skin cuffs etc found on "semi dry" suits is debatable, personally I dont put much faith in their ability to keep you any warmer, but, hey, thats just me.!:wink:

In my opinion, I think you would most likely be better off saving for a good dry suit for your 45 degree dive days, and getting a stock standard, no frills, hooded run of the mill 5mm farmer john and jacket wetsuit for the 65 degree season, I guess its a tad more "spendy", but they should last a long time and comfort is so often very underrated, but, so important dont you think.?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom