Is a DM or Instructor required for diving in Sharm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShawJ

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

My family and I are going to Sharm El Sheikh this Friday and (of course) the intention is to get some diving in. :D

Is it a requirement that you have to dive with a Dive Master or Instructor in Sharm or can I just buddy with my wife? There is a 'house reef' at Ras Um Sid (where we are staying) which I believe is accessible via a walkway, can we just hire tanks and dive there or do we have to be accompanied by a DM?

We have booked a day on a dive boat and the dive company said we have to dive with a DM or Instructor. I just wondered if this is the norm for Sharm as here in Jeddah it is not.

Many thanks,
Jason

Pretty much everywhere in Sharm will insist that you dive with a guide (DM or instructor) if you hire kit from them.

FYI, the house reef at Ras Um Sid is pretty good for a house reef. I was there around this time last year staying at the Iberotel Fanara and it's great for both snorkelling and diving. Look out for the huge Napoleon Wrasse that hangs around between about 8-12 metres and the numerous Red Sea Clown Fish in amongst the reef wall along the drop off.

on the boat the dm will give a briefing -after that you can decide wether to dive with them or not.

if the local dive center are happy with your skills you will be able to dive unguided.

Hi all,

My family and I are going to Sharm El Sheikh this Friday and (of course) the intention is to get some diving in. :D

Is it a requirement that you have to dive with a Dive Master or Instructor in Sharm or can I just buddy with my wife? There is a 'house reef' at Ras Um Sid (where we are staying) which I believe is accessible via a walkway, can we just hire tanks and dive there or do we have to be accompanied by a DM?

We have booked a day on a dive boat and the dive company said we have to dive with a DM or Instructor. I just wondered if this is the norm for Sharm as here in Jeddah it is not.

Many thanks,
Jason

Company rules vs Egyptian rules. Under Egyptian (and CDWS if they actually exist any more) rules there must be a qualified guide (ie a DM or higher holding a cdws card etc) present to "provide logistics, first aid support and a dive brief". This does NOT mean they have to directly supervise in water, merely be on site to do the above.
So in short, its quite OK rules wise to buddy up and dive unaccompanied (and solo if qualified) provided there is surface support to meet the above. However, lots of companies won't let yo do this as a matter of policy.

FWIW we allow unguided house reef diving without any problems. They dive it once or twice with a guide then assuming they're OK in the water and experienced enough can come and go as they please provided the centre is open and staff are informed. It works well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom