Is $695 for a new complete Halcyon rig a good deal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shoehorn!

Registered
Reaction score
Might buy a Halcyon backplate, 40lb wing and harness for $695. Is that a good deal? All are brand new.

If you have to have the blue H, its probably not a bad deal for a single tank rig (including a STA and tank bands). Its too high for a doubles rig. If you don't have to have the blue H there are other high quality options that are at least a couple benjamins cheaper.

Did you choose a steel backplate and 40 lb wing for a reason, or was that just what's available?

Might buy a Halcyon backplate, 40lb wing and harness for $695. Is that a good deal? All are brand new.

$695 is actually the old list price for the Eclipse package (30 or 40# wing). They just raised the list price a month or two ago to $720. So if its at a dealer, then it's not a bad price. If its not from a dealer then you should be able to get it for less. I've seen a few different dealers that sell for them for the $695 (and maybe a little lower) and will include free or cheap shipping and no sales tax. There's also someone on eBay selling them for $720 with free shipping.

Did you choose a steel backplate and 40 lb wing for a reason, or was that just what's available?

Thats what I've dove on before, so I know that I like it and I am comfortable with it. Also from what I've read it seems like Halcyon is top of the line, so if its a not too bad deal then I don't mind spending a little bit extra to get the best.

Do you have experience with something else that you would recommend?

Thats what I've dove on before, so I know that I like it and I am comfortable with it. Also from what I've read it seems like Halcyon is top of the line, so if its a not too bad deal then I don't mind spending a little bit extra to get the best.

I have a few H BP/Ws, never had a problem with any of them, and they do make great gear.

If you are looking for an alternative, I would highly recommend that you look at DSS
www.deepseasupply.com

I own a DSS single tank rig with a steel backplate and a Torus wing with 26 lbs lift, equal or better quality to the blue H and about $250 less. Quality gear and very helpful customer service has earned Tobin a lot of fans, including me.

When I don't take my own gear, I usually rent an H steel or aluminum backplate and singles wing. The H stuff is fine (except the old-school singles wing is wider than it needs to be), but IMO its not worth the extra $250 they are getting for it.

Also from what I've read it seems like Halcyon is top of the line, so if its a not too bad deal then I don't mind spending a little bit extra to get the best.

Well, that's sure what they want you to think! Hype is a great sales tool. There are other options that are much less money and the quality is very high. You also might want to think about your weighting and lift requirements, maybe post that here, and you'll get all sorts of recommendations. 40lbs may be substantially more lift than you need for a singles set up.

FWIW; I went with a Dive Rite Transplate ($77), Hammerhead BP/STA ($110) and a Mach V Signature wing ($272), Delrin cam-bands ($36). It's about $500 and I love it.

I much happier with the Transplate than a HOG harness. The Mach V is TOPS and the Hammerhead BP/STA is heavier (10 ga vs. 11 ga) than the others and a better alloy (316 CRES vs. 303 CRES).

I don't think you will find a better product, or a better value for your money than the packages at DSS. H has a reputation for being solid gear, but at a premium price.

Oxycheq is best.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom