Irresponsible behavior on MV Blue Dragon (Indonesia)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the dive master that cut your line is lucky you guys are OK. Whether you were right or wrong, there is no excuse for putting peoples safety at risk.

Typically, most LoB's drop off divers from a dingy or RIB and try to follow the bubbles. It's rare that to set an anchor on a live reef or a cleaning station. I understand the DM's concern, but I would never cut an anchor line. At Blue Magic or similar dive sites, current directions can change rapidly, so be careful leaving a dingy unattended at the surface. Or as KathyV commented, its not best practice to leave a dingy unattended.

When in Rome do as the Romans do...

When diving at a new foreign location do as the locals do...

Maybe, but regardless of the divers' judgment in diving without a topside boat operator or anchoring in the selected location, there is no excuse for cutting divers' safety/anchor line. Once divers are safely out of the water, then a discussion can be had as to the proper local procedures and techniques. Personally, I would view such actions as the DM is accused of taking as intentionally putting my, and my fellow divers' lives at risk, and would take every available and appropriate action against said DM.

Personally I would've removed anchor and handed it to divers - remember those reefs are the DMs bread and butter - I can understand why he was furious as anchoring ON a dive site in RA is pretty irresponsible...I dont recall any bare rock around there either.

I have never been diving in Indonesia at this juncture in my life I suspect I will never dive there.
I do have a few comments that just might be appropriate as follows

1) Top side boat operator --- Never ever dive with out a top side personnel
Preferably one who is familiar with the boat operation and can operate the boat
One who can act as security guard for the boat as well as security for the divers

2) Always fly the red & white and or the blues and white flag to denote diving

3)Cutting the line by the DM
It is a well documented fact that cruising Mantas will seek out taunt line to use as a rubbing line to remove unwanted marine life
A) Suggest that you read John D Craig's best selling 1938 dive related book "Danger is my business" . In this book he describes how a Manta rubbed up against a helmeted divers life line some how became entangled and was sweep of into the blue never to be seen again'
(FYI John was also an LA Co UW instructor & inscribed his book to me)
B) I would also suggest that you read the great Hans Hass's 1952 book simply entitled "Manta."
In this book he also describes the potential dangers of mantas
(FYI I also have this book inscribed to me by Dr. Hass & his wife Lotte )

4) I do not know about the local dive protocol but there is a very distinct possibility the DM was chopping the line in oder to avoid possible manta entanglement and even a great tragedy of all the divers being sweep away.

5) I also consider the divers very irresponsible for anchoring in an area where the diving community standard, or possible agreement was NOT to anchor.

6) The divers via their description of the event appear to me to ones who consider them selves entitled, apparently poorly trained with minimum open water experience who sre immune to accepted local diving practices as well as well known and practiced safety procedures.

And according to Forrest Gump "That's all I have to say about that..."

Sam Miller, III

Hi Sam - After a some thought, I cannot remember seeing an anchor line at a dive site in the marine protected areas of Indonesia or for that matter, anywhere in Indonesia. After many years of diving with reef and oceanic mantas, I have yet to have any issues, other than inconsiderate photographers and divers chasing the beautiful creatures. Local Indonesia custom - red & white flags are not used. Thanks for the reading suggestions, I will try to find Hans Hass's 1952 book. As always, I really look forward to your posts.

When the OP mentions "unless convention has changed" my mind is curious re how often has the OP been doing this - first incident of just dropping anchor and popping overboard? Did OP pay RA National Park fees for each diver?

If there is (and I certainly hear a lot more RA talk) an increase in yacht traffic with yachties diving not just sight seeing there is scope for conflict. The LOBs have to sustain their exclusivity and mostly do try and Schedule dives so there's not a bunch of divers all showing up at the same time. When guests have paid top dollar and there's a massive investment at stake, I can see why yachties popping in to say hello can irk people who've paid thousands. In three LOB trips I've seen one other group of divers on Mayhem - otherwise it's been "ours". I have never seen any other LOB drop anchor on the dive site, operators aren't stupid you don't park on your most valuable assets.

Certainly not trying to cast aspersions on the OPs choices as some of the best times and dives in my life have been crewing on yachts and deciding hey this looks awesome - shall we? Impromptu true exploratory hit and miss dives as opposed to I've got a guide book telling me where the best dive sites are so I shall hit them up. Diving while you're sailing is awesome and in no way am I posting to condemn anyone for this.

Just find out what the "actual" convention is....and respect that international signal given to we who navigate life through the currents - some dude waving a gun or spear at you means my island go away.

If that's going to be the way cruising yachties impact RA there may be more potential for conflict...

Last edited:
Some years ago, five divers from a private boat went diving at Komodo and did not manage to get back to their unmanned vessel. They were found a few days later after fending of dragons on Rinca - but lucky to be alive.

I'd say that DM was lucky none of the divers affected decided to cut some of his gear after he cut theirs, there are people who would react that way....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom