Irresponsible behavior on MV Blue Dragon (Indonesia)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teneicm

Registered
Reaction score
We live on our sailboat and have been sailing through and diving in the waters of Raja Ampat for the past couple of months. We went out for a dive today at "Blue Magic", a blue water seamount a couple of miles away from the nearest land. We had 4 divers in two small dinghies and the current was ripping along at 3+ knots when we got out to the site. Reading in the guidebook that the liveaboards often put a temporary mooring line down to assist divers getting down and back up, we decided to quickly take down and set a small dingy anchor that would hold the boats while we were down. After carefully hooking the anchor on some bare rock, we all hunkered down to take shelter from the current while watching the fish swarm about. About 5 minutes later a group of divers from a local liveaboard, MV Blue Dragon swam by. The divemaster (someone who we believe is named Alvin), starting gesticulating at one of the folks in our group. After a minute it became clear he was upset about the fact that we had anchored. It seemed he was worried about the possibility of a manta ray running into the rope anchor line. We tried to indicate that we were sorry, but there wasn't too much to be done at that time. He then pulled out his dive knife and indicated he was going to cut the anchor line- allowing our only means of safely getting back home to drift away in the 3 knot current. Not wanting to have an altercation underwater, I tried to indicate to "wait a minute" and then tried to get the attention of the other divers to let them know we needed to leave. While my back was turned, Alvin cut the line and it was only a lucky grab from one of our other divers that kept the boats from being swept away. We quickly grabbed the remaining line and anchor and released from the reef, making a blue water ascent in the fast current. Total time from Alvin showing up on scene until cutting our line was probably less than 2 minutes. I understand wanting to protect Mantas, but to put the lives of 4 divers at risk and destroy property to do so is absolutely irresponsible. After surfacing, we approached the liveaboard and discussed the situation with the captain. He seemed unconcerned and said to file a report with the police if we wanted.

Anyway, definitely get out and dive Raja Ampat- it is truly spectacular. Just beware of who you do it with!

Cheers- Matt

So how was the mooring line any different? Wouldn't it "catch" mantas?
That's why we figured a small dingy anchor wouldn't be an issue. To be fair, the two groups of divers that showed up after us were dropped off and the boats stood off while the divers were down. So perhaps the convention has changed? Either way, no excuse for cutting a line.

Did you leave anyone topside in a dingy?
Not this dive. Everyone wanted to dive and we all discussed the need to stay near the anchor/ anchor line. We often drift dive with no one in the dingy and using a floating line to hold onto it. Wasn't practical for todays dive as the current was very strong and the dive was centered on a specific location.

I was in Raja Ampat recently and in 10 days of liveaboard diving not once did we see any tenders or dayboats moored on the dive sites. As I understand anchoring close to the reef is discoraged to avoid any unintensional damage if the anchor drags etc. While I feel your frustration with the overzealous divemaster I think the captain could have done better to difuse the situation when u spoke to him. I also think given the strong and sometimes unpredictable currents in RA it was quite risky for u to not leave someone topside on the dingy. Situation could get out of hand if the group got separated from the dingy and currents can quickly make mattera worse.

It was a live drop from a dingy with a negative entry when I dived there. Not many bare rocks when I was in Raja Ampat. There was coral growing on the coral.

Not this dive. Everyone wanted to dive and we all discussed the need to stay near the anchor/ anchor line. We often drift dive with no one in the dingy and using a floating line to hold onto it. Wasn't practical for todays dive as the current was very strong and the dive was centered on a specific location.

Although I don't think it was right for the divemaster to cut your line, I think that diving from a dingy in strong current without leaving anybody topside was also rather irresponsible behavior.

I can see why you would think so, but if someone had accidentally gotten away from the tow lines, it would be one thing for 4 divers to look for 1 stray diver. To me, it is a whole 'nother level for someone to intentionally set a dinghy adrift (when we were looking the other way) and stranding everyone. But I guess that's just me. Anyway, will be out of Internet range and enjoying the great diving here.

I think the divemaster made the wrong decision considering you were ready to end the dive and leave, but it's also interesting you guys are not safety-conscious enough to take turns being top side. Sounds like you guys chose to ignore local conventions so everybody could dive at the same time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom