Question Iq sub fx-ccr. New chest mount unit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Th

Why would you say backmount is the way to go? I’m curious to ear your opinion as an instructor!

I didn't say that.

kensuf:
as a meg instructor, I'm laughing my ass off at all the chestmount rebreather options. 5 years ago everyone was adament that you needed to use backmount CL's to avoid chest clutter, now everyone is pushing for cluttering things way beyond a set of counterlungs.

For years, people dished hard on the meg because of chestmount counterlungs. The main argument against the meg was that the chestmount counterlungs added clutter. However, the fact of the matter is the meg breaths better than any rig I've ever owned/dove, in any position. Plus it de-waters as good or better than about anything else I've ever owned (except the SF2, that thing was the best) - I literally am willing to flood the loop the last few minutes of every dive in clear freshwater to rinse out lung butter, I wouldn't dare do that with another rig.

I find it ironic that after years of "you need backmount counterlungs" there are three or four companies now pushing chestmount rebreathers (kiss Go, iqSub FX, Choptima, Triton). I assure you, having a whole rig on your chest and belly adds more clutter than a set of bags that you can push out of the way when you need them.

as a meg instructor, I'm laughing my ass off at all the chestmount rebreather options. 5 years ago everyone was adament that you needed to use backmount CL's to avoid chest clutter, now everyone is pushing for cluttering things way beyond a set of counterlungs.

I definitely do NOT really like the chest clutter aspect of the Chop. But, with a SM rig and a couple of LP85s, it is way nicer in the caves than my rEvo. The breathing in a lot of the orientations that caves require is so much nicer on the Chop. The rEvo is still my preference outside of the caves.

If I have a BM CCR, then I want BM CLs and no chest clutter.

If I have nothing on my back (except an air cell), then I'm okay with having it all on my chest.

Any comparaison, between the cmoptima vs the fix-ccr? I’m waiting for couple reviews before jumping into the ccr world!

Well at first glance the most noticeable thing is the size. When I first got into chest mounted units I looked at the CM but after seeing how huge it is I ended up with a Triton. I wanted something small and streamline also something that would work well as a bail out unit. Too bad the FX did not come out a couple years ago.

I am not a big guy 5'10" but also at the same time not small and the CM I found to be a little overwhelming in size for a chest unit I can't imagen if your a smaller framed person.

So it's an ECCR which can also have a needle valve? That seems pretty brilliant honestly.

So it's an ECCR which can also have a needle valve? That seems pretty brilliant honestly.
If you’d like to listen to arguments for and against this notion, feel free to search “hCCR” or hybrid revo. The orfice in the revo block is pressed in and not serviceable. That said, it’s a great large block if you’d like to smash some seals.

It’s a…contentious argument, but the use of a needle at least resolves one of the issues with the revo.

Well at first glance the most noticeable thing is the size. When I first got into chest mounted units I looked at the CM but after seeing how huge it is I ended up with a Triton. I wanted something small and streamline also something that would work well as a bail out unit. Too bad the FX did not come out a couple years ago.

I am not a big guy 5'10" but also at the same time not small and the CM I found to be a little overwhelming in size for a chest unit I can't imagen if your a smaller framed person.
Is 5’9” 150 a big size?!

If you’d like to listen to arguments for and against this notion, feel free to search “hCCR” or hybrid revo. The orfice in the revo block is pressed in and not serviceable. That said, it’s a great large block if you’d like to smash some seals.

It’s a…contentious argument, but the use of a needle at least resolves one of the issues with the revo.

Are you talking about the CMF orifice in the rEvo MAV block?

rEvos haven’t been built that way in years. The CMF is easy to service or replace. It’s under the scrubber, next to the solenoid.

I definitely do NOT really like the chest clutter aspect of the Chop. But, with a SM rig and a couple of LP85s, it is way nicer in the caves than my rEvo. The breathing in a lot of the orientations that caves require is so much nicer on the Chop. The rEvo is still my preference outside of the caves.

If I have a BM CCR, then I want BM CLs and no chest clutter.

If I have nothing on my back (except an air cell), then I'm okay with having it all on my chest.

There are some nice things with CM rebreathers. Light & portable for travel and the ability to easily remove/replace them are at the top of the list.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom