IPE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjack321

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
The especially CCR relevant bits are in the paragraph starting with "Castagna et al..." near the end.

Especially for back mounted CL users, assuming they are staying in trim which is always debatable.

The especially CCR relevant bits are in the paragraph starting with "Castagna et al..." near the end.

Especially for back mounted CL users, assuming they are staying in trim which is always debatable.
thats a significant difference in numbers even fro those without IPE - im guessing its exaggerated with those prone to IPE.
I thought this was also interesting for OC divers
"If the diver experiences IPE at depth, during his ascent, his head is above his lung centroid, and respiration is with continuous negative airway pressure. This tends to worsen the IPE. In addition, the ascent causes a rapid reduction in inspired PO2 from 0.84 to 0.21 bar, so that some affected divers become unconscious during the ascent and drown.'

Yeah they are assuming people go vertical to ascend - which might be true for the majority of divers

I was wreck diving at 36 m with my buddy on a JJ who signalled something wrong he literally had to crawl along the top of the hull back to the mooring line hes so weak -turns out he had IPE. I couldnt really do much for him - got him back to the mooring line and and cleared our deco and surface - by now boat in rough seas and hes coughing up blood and pale as coud be and unable to help himself - fortunately the boat had a diver lift on it so we got him out and he collapsed on the deck - heres his comment from reading hes done

" most noticeable when in the water waiting to be picked up. ie delta p is greatest at that point the damage is done and the secretion taken place. now the lung has fluid and as a result reduced efficiency causing you to drown from the inside. the treatment is 100% o2 which ups the lung efficiency. "

I was wreck diving at 36 m with my buddy on a JJ who signalled something wrong he literally had to crawl along the top of the hull back to the mooring line hes so weak -turns out he had IPE. I couldnt really do much for him - got him back to the mooring line and and cleared our deco and surface - by now boat in rough seas and hes coughing up blood and pale as coud be and unable to help himself - fortunately the boat had a diver lift on it so we got him out and he collapsed on the deck - heres his comment from reading hes done

" most noticeable when in the water waiting to be picked up. ie delta p is greatest at that point the damage is done and the secretion taken place. now the lung has fluid and as a result reduced efficiency causing you to drown from the inside. the treatment is 100% o2 which ups the lung efficiency. "
Sounds brutal, glad he survived.

Thanks for this info. I had an IPE on open circuit while cave diving near High Springs in 2019. My first and hopefully only time. (I wrote about it in a 2020 NSS-CDS UWS issue.)
My cardiologist said a virus I had early in 2019 likely weakened my heart which led to an IPE.
I didn't dive for about six months but returned when my heart's ejection fraction went back into the 50s. But, I stopped taking a heart medication (Entresto) which led to my EF going back under 50 again. So now I'm waiting for it to go back to normal levels before resuming diving.
A slight cough started while I was at depth in the cave, but it got much worse at my deco stop, and then real bad when I surfaced. I only had a few minutes of deco, so I wasn't on O2. I did almost pass out in the water, but divers helped me out and another diver got me on O2 quickly, then a week in the hospital. Things got much better once I was out of the water and on O2!

I had a couple IPE events earlier in the summer. 90 something hours on the revo without issues up to that point. The first one was the major one, the second time was more of a test and brought a cheap pulse ox meter along and was at 91% with a minor ipe event. Breathing 50% o2 brings it right back up. I had recently started cycling much more so was probably stronger as far as inhalation. I got checked out by a cardiologist who agreed based on evidence it was IPE. I enrolled in Dukes sildenafil double blind study, but the conditions (shoulder level 68 degree water/ 40 minutes cycling after drinking 2L of pedialyte) did not induce an IPE event. So the rebreather must be the problem. I have a non-ce micro with the smaller lungs (4.5l) and notice I'm up against the adv alot. I discovered through spirometry during the study that my vital capacity is 4.56L. So not that I breathe deeply in that way but there is not much wiggle room. My instructor put an expansion kit on my unit and no more issues thus far. I also went back to the revo dsv from the golem one as I feel it breathes better and is also quieter.

</biology professor>Tsk tsk. I think they mean 'ventral' and 'dorsal' rather than 'anterior' and 'posterior' </biology professor>.

Aside from that, interesting and thanks for posting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom