IP problem with brand new Poseidon Xstream

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I inherited that one from someone who worked on, heh, heh, Volvos, who was jumping ship. Here's the already pricey wrench, that I had mentioned, at Lex Luthor's site:
First time I see this affectionate little nickname you got for Bezos...
Well, not too expensive considering the Poseidon asking price, but I might go for the hex drive socket and a regular torque wrench, seems maybe more versatile?

First time I see this affectionate little nickname you got for Bezos...
Well, not too expensive considering the Poseidon asking price, but I might go for the hex drive socket and a regular torque wrench, seems maybe more versatile?

I too have that Thai hex socket, somewhere in my toolkit; and it's quite useful for disassembly. Poseidon produced a socket -- which rolls right off the tongue, in German as most everything does, as: Membrandeckel-Werkzeug für 1. Stufe -- for the Cyklon / Jetstream first stages, years ago, at almost US 200.00. I'd make a disparaging comment about alcohol and seasonal affective disorder in Northern Europe -- or a jab at IKEA peckerwood furniture; but I am far too mature for that . . .

@Bigbella I have their sockets for the older first stages as well and they're quite nice. I've used both, but much prefer the sockets. Feel like I have much more control

Good to know. A friend was going to place an order with Scuba Clinic, for some Scubapro widgets, while under house arrest and a NYC curfew, and asked whether I wanted anything.

Well, now I do . . .

@tbone1004
In any case, I would still need a solution to hold the reg body while torquing/untorquing the DIN stem, which seems to require another special tool in the form of a handle screwing into one of the low pressure ports (though perhaps I could simply use an allen key set into a port plug maybe?)

Either DGX or Silent Explorers has tools for such a thing. The latter carries the Poseidon tool (for 18.00); and the other, the one with the cross beam, heavy duty persuader, for around that price . . .

Attachments

• IMG_2260.JPG
    IMG_2260.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 104
Either DGX or Silent Explorers has tools for such a thing. The latter carries the Poseidon tool (for 18.00); and the other, the one with the cross beam, heavy duty persuader, for around that price . . .
Thanks for the tip but a few mins too late... In my eagerness to fix this thing and put this tragicomedy behind me, I already completed my order from Thailand, and included their t-version marine SS implementation of this tool since I thought I might as well order it all from one place. Just need the 6mm hex socket bit to drive this thing now, as they were sold out.
Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the tip but a few mins too late... In my eagerness to fix this thing and put this tragicomedy behind me, I already completed my order from Thailand, and included their t-version marine SS implementation of this tool since I thought I might as well order it all from one place. Just need the 6mm hex socket bit to drive this thing now, as they were sold out.
Thanks for the help!

Great! You'll find DIY far more satisfying than waiting upon foreign dealers or manufacturers; and there are a few a few of us, on this site, who can help you along with your projects; and so far as I know, we haven't killed anyone just yet . . .

Ok, time for an update! Yesterday evening I received my special socket from Phuket (rimes!, thanks DHL) along with a couple of other things ordered at the same time (hemostat for cracking pressure and some second stage service tools while I was at it), so it was time to take a look at this leak. I didn't have the long hex bit socket, but was able to get by with a regular 6mm hex screwdriver bit and 3/8" to hex drive adapter in my wrench to drive the socket.
So I had to use quite a bit of force to untorque the DIN stem from the body, and it really wasn't loose at all, so I have a hard time believing that this happened by me unintentionally unscrewing the DIN adapter while pressurized. After opening, I found the internal o-ring still looked correctly centered, however, it was kind of flattened and showed a groove on its side along part of the circumference (I took a picture, but not sure it's easy to see there).
It seems to me it is more likely that this o-ring was maybe overtorqued and smashed or "bad" in the first place and cracked after a few cycles of pressurization/depressurization (more consistent with the leak first being audible upon opening the valve on a fresh tank vs mistakenly unscrewing the reg on a the previous tank while pressurized).
In any case, it clearly seemed this o-ring was the culprit. After looking at the Poseidon diagram, I noticed that this o-ring is the same part that is around the plug on the high pressure ports, so since I had taken one such plug out for my gauge, I was relieved to find out I already had a spare one begging to be used. I had a bit of difficulty coming up with a way to correctly place the o-ring , but opted to rest it centered on the filter inserted into the DIN stem and slowly screwed the stem into the body while holding it vertically and the first stage port facing downward to make sure it didn't move. Once it was finger tight, I lay the reg horizontally and finished torquing it with the socket and my bigass 1/2" torque wrench (not an ideal setup but worked ok). I then connected the reg to a full tank to test, and no leak! Seems to work just fine, IP at 128 or so with 3300 psi in there.
So, is there a good source for this o-ring (had trouble finding one before I realized it was the same as on the HP port plug)? Is this item from DGX the correct part (item 012 on that page)?
Viton O-Ring, Brown, Qty of Five | Dive Gear Express®
Also, what's the ideal way of installing that o-ring to avoid pinching it, etc?
Thanks!

20200608_192203.jpg 20200608_191341.jpg 20200608_191633.jpg 20200608_191356.jpg

Good work! You installed it correctly - resting it on the filter and screwing the reg body down onto the DIN fitting so the oring isn't dislodged.
That step in your side view of the oring is normal. The oring seals by extruding itself around the corner of the boss inside the reg body, and is contained by the cone of the end of the DIN bolt. They all look that way. You maybe had a bad ring, or perhaps it was slightly off center when originally installed.
I'll spec out a size for that for you, and let you know. @tbone1004 , do you know?

Back
Top Bottom