IP Immediately after service.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gcarter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My Apeks XTX40/DS4 and my son's HOG D1 cold set have just been serviced.

Today I attached them to a tank to check the IP. Since I just bought the gauge and this is my first time using it, I am not quite sure how to analyze the result.

The tank has 3100 PSI.

Apeks: Initial IP on pressurization 140. Purge cycle has an initial return to 135. After several cycles, left if for 10 minutes and it had crept to 145. Cycled again ~ 20 times, initial return to 135. 1 hour later, creep topped at 140.

HOG: Initial IP on pressurization 150. Purge cycle has an initial return to 135. After several cycles, left if for 5 minutes and it had crept to 140. Cycled again ~ 20 times, initial return to 135. 15 minutes later, creep topped at 140.

Is this amount of creep normal for newly serviced regs? Should this go away with some more cycling as the seats settle in?

I always thought the standard for a new seat was no creep. Cycling a couple times after initial pressurization is good. While I accept 5psi of creep on a used seat, I expect a new seat to lock up solid if it has been broken in properly. You might try cycling it 20 or 30 times and see if that produces solid lockup results.

First, I am not a certified tech but I do service my own regs (Apeks).

My experience with my TX50/DSTs has been that there is an initial pressure seating phase and a final seating phase. That is the 135# then 140# that you see. If this is a new seat, it takes a few cycles of the 2nd stage reg to fully set the seat in the 1st stage. That's what you saw in the initial IP of 145# and then the drop to 135# with final seat of 140#. After cycling the reg for a bit it moves down to 135#-140#. Now these pressures are based on how the tech set the IP in the first place. 135#-140# is the norm.

If you leave the IP gauge on for an hour or so, you should not see the IP change beyond 140#. If it hits 145#, and stops there, if it was my reg, I would be concerned and would set it down to 135#-140# and leave it again for an hour. What you *do not want to see* is an ongoing climb of 145# to 150# to 155# and so forth over the hour. That would be bad. You want to see it seat at 135#-140# and then *not change* for the hour that you leave it.

IP effects how easily the reg could free flow. I dive cold water and tend to set mine to 130#-135#. I don't get worried if it sets at 140# and does not change over the hour.

Also don't forget that the IP gauge you are using is probably mechanical and its not unusual to find 5#-10# differences between mechanical gauges. Given the numbers you have using your gauge, the numbers sound right.

As said was said it might need some time to break in the seat. I have found that with some I get a immediate lock-up with others a few psi increase before lock up. One rule I was given by another tech was no more than 5psi in 5 minutes.

Last edited:
Thanks all. FWIW, when I set the lever to + and purge each 2nd it free flows, bang and it stops, set to - and purge, no free flow so the 2nds seem to all be OK. I will cycle a few more times and then leave each set on a tank overnight.

Subjective breathing test(Apeks Regulator Service and Repair Manual found on line):
1. While the regulator is connected to a cyclinder containing 3,000psi and pressurized, turn the 2nd stage adjustment knob completely out anticlockwise to the full positive position, and verify that a slight leak of airflow is present. (You will need a 5mm Allen Key, do it slowly until you met resistance and stop. I store my 2nd stage in this position).
2. Slowly turn the adjustment knob in clockwise to verify that the air-flow stops between 1/2-1 turn.
3. Turn the adjustment knob completely in clockwise, and depress he 2nd stage purge to ensure that an adequate volume of air need to clear the 2nd stage flows through the mouthpiece.

5psi is accepted but not higher.

You could try leaving it pressurized overnight, see if that does anything, or just take it on a dive, then check it again. Really there should be zero creep in any high quality 1st stage IMO. But, maybe the seats need to break in a bit.

In general I have seen a bit more creep and IP drift (locking up at slightly different pressures after purges) with diaphragm regs than with pistons, but I've only worked on a few diaphragm regs.

The service tech is supposed to break-in the regs by cycling them 20 to 100 times, or better still, use a dedicated machine.

Or has this become old school? At least the tech should tell the customer (you!) to finish his job yourself.

So I cycled a few more times on each set and then left them pressurized overnight. The Apexs went to ~138, the Hog to ~137. So they are both closing the gap.

Oceanic Regs seem to drop from 140 to about 120 or less after a few days. I'm guessing the seats aren't the same as what they used to be and it's taking some time for them to set in good. I re-adjust after a couple of days and they hold steady at 140psi.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom