IP Creeping Down

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoundForElsewhere

Snarkmeister
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I just rebuilt my MR42T and installed a new poppet. I set it to an initial IP of 145 psi but in an hour has crept down to 140. Is this just the poppet getting seated or did I screw something up?

I think I'll leave it for a few hours and see what happens. It's probably just the poppet getting broken in. Really dig the MR42, though. Between that and the Proton metal, shaved a pound from my HOG rig.

I bet it's fine. As Eric said, the problem is when it creeps up. In your case the seat/poppet seal is just settling in and as such, there's less seating force required to keep it from leaking. 140PSI is not too low by any measure, so I'd leave it. I would also cycle it several times by bumping the purge and see where it ends up.

If you find that it really starts jumping around or can't hold IP high enough for your tastes, I guess it's possible that the main spring is worn out and needs replacing, but that's not common and usually only on very old regulators.

Make sure that you have an air tight system downstream. It may be a simple as a tiny leak from hoses or second stage or even your gauge connections that allows IP to drop but not quite enough to trigger valve opening in your first stage. The longer you leave it, the more likely you'll see it either settle in at the new IP, or trigger a pop up to where you first set it.
Seat set seems like a more likely cause, as you suggested though.

Turn off the tank valve and see if it holds IP. Quick way to see if you have any leaks.

Turn off the tank valve and see if it holds IP. Quick way to see if you have any leaks.

Yup. Held overnight. Thanks for the tip.

I have a healthy scepticism of my servicing abilities but so far I've done pretty good. Thanks everyone.

The final step in any service is full submersion while pressurized so that will tell you if you have any micro leaks.

Bathtub time.

Back
Top Bottom