Invisible Sting in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vannsbtch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
2 weeks ago today we were diving and I felt a sting on my wrist but couldnt see anything. It only stung for a few seconds. It left some bumps on my wrist and hurt a little but only while I was diving. I still have the bumps today and they still dont hurt or itch or anything. What do you recon it was?

My bet would be part of a hydroid that had broken off and was floating free in the water. It happens to me at least once on just about every trip....

cool. We just didnt know if it was something to be worried about. It doesnt hurt but wont go away. lol. Very strange. Ive been stung before by invisable things but they never left a mark for this long

Here is a pic of it

Attachments

• get-attachment.aspx.jpg
    get-attachment.aspx.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 264
Have you tried something like a Benadryl creme?

You could also ask this be moved to the Diving Medicine forum where the medicos will look at it.

Have you tried something like a Benadryl creme?
Or even a combination of Benadryl jel and hdrocortisone ointment, just kind of smeared together on the site of swelling/itching/irritation.

That's my generic remedy for poison oak, poison ivy, hydroids, fire coral, jellyfish and anything else that irritates the skin in that way. The combo seems to work better than either medicine alone.

YMMV, but both are relatively mild over the counter products.

It looks like a hydroid sting which is a black, lacey looking thingy common on a lot of dive sites and which you probably brushed up against. AS a new diver you probably didn't know these can sting. They can last a couple of weeks. OTC Hydrocortisone creme will reduce itching and promote healing.

I'm no doctor but those look like hydroid stings. I'm allergic to them and get bumps that look like that on every trip, sometimes they itch and blister. As was already stated Bendryl works for me. As I know I'm allergic to them, I usually keep a benadryl pen/stick thing with me until they are gone (once stung). Takes about four week for them to clear from my skin. Only bothersome for a few days, of those four weeks, for me though.
Be real glad your not allergic to them!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom