Introduction to Thailand anyone? :-)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sel

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

My husband and I are thinking of diving Thailand this year as we've been diving in Malaysia in the past. We do not know much about Thailand at all. Could someone help us? Where are the good dive spots? I've heard from other divers that there are places where there's lots of coral death. Is that true?
Any help would be great!! THANKS! :)

In a nut-shell...
In the Gulf, you have Pattaya, which is probably your best bet for wrecks (within rec. diving limits), and Samui/Tao, which has some great sites (Chumphon Pinnacle, Sail Rock etc.).
On the west coast, you have Khao Lak and Phuket, which are the best places for liveaboards to the Similans. Then a bit further down you have Krabi, Phi Phi and Lanta, which offer diving to Hin Daeng/Hin Muang, the Bidas and Koh Ha. I will be heading back to work on Koh Lanta again this season, feel free to PM me for more info about Lanta.

Bubble Junky tells it like it is.

It does depend on the time of year but for the best of Thailand you want to be thinking about October to April/May on the West Coast. The Similans are undoubtedly the best Thailand has to offer and the only way to get the best of them is to jump on a Similans Liveaboard.

Otherwise there are plenty of Phuket daytrip options.

Koh Samui and Koh Tao don't really have the variety you might be after although there are a few good sites. Koh Tao tends to be full of fire juggling backpackers doing courses although it is a nice island and you can get away from that scene if you want.

I am biased, but: Phuket is your best starting point, from there you can do daytrips to Hin Daeng and Hin Muang, Shark Point area, Bida Islands, Racha Islands and even the Similans, plus liveaboards to the Northern destinations Similans, Koh Bon, Koh Tachai and Richelieu Rock and the Southern Andaman, Hin Daeng, Hin Muang, Koh Haa, Bida Islands. Occasionally also trips to the Koh Lipe/Koh Tarutao area are possible.

So lots of flexibility and lots of choice.

I've heard from other divers that there are places where there's lots of coral death. Is that true?
Last season there was a problem with the "red tide" at Hin Daeng and Hin Muang. Apparently (I asked a dive shop in Phi Phi) that is getting better. At the Similan Islands you don't have any problem like that.

The best season is November - April. Best dive sites at the Similan islands and further North to Richelieu Rock. Best way to get there - liveaboards, though there are day trips to all dive sites. These trips start from Phuket or Khao Lak.

If you prefer day trips, Phuket has the most variety of dive sites accessible by day trip. You can make a 5 or 6 day package without repeating sites.

Happy Diving and give my regards to Bochum,

Jamie
Phuket

Hallo Sel,

Information über diving at Koh Lipe (Thailand)
Sie können uns anrufen in Belgien bis ende Oktober.
Mein Name ist Eric und ich bin jedes Jahr 4 Monaten auf KOH LIPE

Belgien Telefone NR (Eric): 0032 486140 173 Deutz und Flamisch

Anfang November Thailand Telefone NR ( Barry): 0066 894 645 884 Englisch

Sabye Divers www.sabye-sports.com und www.kolipethailand.com

Grüssen

Eric

Hallo Sel,

Information über diving at Koh Lipe (Thailand)
Sie können uns anrufen in Belgien bis ende Oktober.
Mein Name ist Eric und ich bin jedes Jahr 4 Monaten auf KOH LIPE

Belgien Telefone NR (Eric): 0032 486140 173 Deutz und Flamisch

Anfang November Thailand Telefone NR ( Barry): 0066 894 645 884 Englisch

Sabye Divers www.sabye-sports.com und www.kolipethailand.com

Grüssen

Eric

nice plug for your own shop there

hopefully you are not gonna be another "my shops best" & "we have the best diving" moron that litters the board with tripe

How he came to conclusion that he/she should type in German, is sel a german name?

In a nut-shell...
In the Gulf, you have Pattaya, which is probably your best bet for wrecks (within rec. diving limits), and Samui/Tao, which has some great sites (Chumphon Pinnacle, Sail Rock etc.).
On the west coast, you have Khao Lak and Phuket, which are the best places for liveaboards to the Similans. Then a bit further down you have Krabi, Phi Phi and Lanta, which offer diving to Hin Daeng/Hin Muang, the Bidas and Koh Ha. I will be heading back to work on Koh Lanta again this season, feel free to PM me for more info about Lanta.

That nearly covers it - only left out Koh Chang in the Gulf.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom