Introduction and looking for recommendations on gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VanHalen5150

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I'm Clay, 35 years old and living in the southern united states.

Years back (1998) a good friend of mine got certified to dive by PADI. He wanted me to get certified as well but at the time financial situation simp-ly did not allow for it.

At that time my buddy bought me a dive bag, mask, fins, snorkel, weights, weight belt, boots, gloves and a dive knife. I did a pool dive "introduction to scuba" dive at my local dive center and loved it.

I then took my buddies divers training manual and studied it for weeks. A few weeks later he came down to florida where I was on vacation and rented me a wetsuit, BC, tank, and regs and took me to the deepest pool we could find and did 3 practice dives with me.

Then we hit the ocean and I LOVED it!!

The plan was eventually for me to get certified. Anyway here it is 14 years later and I am ready to do it finally, My buddy only ever took me on a half dozen trips before he moved out of state but he is back now and we went on a quarry dive last weekend and I am hooked again.

So, Back in '98 my buddy bought a Mares Ruby 1st stage and ther best second stage they had and a good octopus, aawesome dive computer etc etc, luxfer tanks and a mares bc. since he moved away he had to sell his gear due to a money situation and just rent gear when he went diving. Now hes ready to get back into it full time and I am ready to get certified.

My questions are as follows.

It appears Mares doesnt produce the Ruby anymore, Why? and What took its place?

I had looked back in the day at a scubapro Mk.15 (I think) or maybe Mk.25 Nitrox 1st stage as I liked the way the scubapro setup functioned and have heard that ScubaPro is damned near bulletproof.

Any suggestions? Comments?

I want to buy mostly all one brand of equipment, Mares or ScubaPro I think unless someone has suggestions as to why not to.

I want Suunto guages as I like Suunto their stuff is very well built.

Anyway if someone can give me some direction it would be greatly appreciated! :)

Hello and welcome to the board!
You're already well informed, here're my 2cts:

... It appears Mares doesnt produce the Ruby anymore, Why? and What took its place?...

Fashion, really, with the hope that the consumer might buy (again) something newer and greater, but it's basically the same thing. There hasn't been a whole lot of fundamental changes in the last 30 years of so. The current models are the Instinct, Carbon, Abyss, Prestige and Rover.

... I had looked back in the day at a scubapro Mk.15 (I think) or maybe Mk.25 Nitrox 1st stage as I liked the way the scubapro setup functioned and have heard that ScubaPro is damned near bulletproof...

Good idea. I'm a diehard SP fan; my preferred setup is the MK25 with a G250V second: it's as good as it gets, lasts forever, but it's not cheap.

... I want to buy mostly all one brand of equipment, Mares or ScubaPro I think unless someone has suggestions as to why not to.

Good idea again, for maintenance reasons.

... I want Suunto guages as I like Suunto their stuff is very well built...

Good idea, finally, I still use the old Uwatec/Scubapro, but I bought my kids Suunto's because they're widely available. Note that they're called "Dive computers" these days.

You got started similar to how I did. Welcome back! I tried a lot of different gear before I settled on Mares stuff for my wife and I. I bought a Mares Abyss-22 Regulator, Mares Dragon BCD (Mares "She Dive" equivilant for my wife), Mares Air Control Octo/ Inflator (love not having the octo hose hanging), and Mares Mission Puck 3 CPU (a little bit of an old model, but great!). No complaints so far. I love everything I got. There are good reviews all over youtube for each of the components. The best part was the price. Each of the major components run for aroung $500. I paid a package price of $1100ish. Good luck.

I wouldnt get hung up on one brand personally, even though most of my gear is Dive-rite. Being as informed as possible is good before making the wrong purchase. Mask is for fit IMO, as is a wetsuit, booties and fins. Id avoid heavy fins so your not too feet heavy. BC or backplate/wing is your next decision. I like the Zeagle Ranger BC, but usually swim a BP/wing. Your instruments usually have price as a big factor. I dont like weight belts and prefer an integrated weight system and regs are dependant on price and repairability. I think its best to find a diveshop locally somewhat that you like and buy most items from them. As for the tank alum 80 is standard but steel lp 85 or steel hp 100 will give you more volume and bottom time. Maybe rent before committing on BC, bp/wing, tank, wetsuit, fins. Weve all bought what we thought only to change something later, you probably will do the same. Good luck and GET CERTIFIED!

I agree that sticking with one brand of gear is not anything to go out of your way for, in fact it's probably not the best idea. If you want a scubapro MK15 you can still get one, doubtlessly in close to perfect shape, used. It's best to have some guidance buying used gear, but it can be a great money saver.

Get certified before you buy any gear other than a mask, fins, and the dreaded snorkel. Once you're certified, I would suggest you start with a wetsuit appropriate for the conditions you'll be diving in, then possibly a regulator. Buying a BC is IMO a little complicated as a brand new diver because there are different types of BC systems that work surprisingly differently from each other, and it's difficult to evaluate what's best for you until you have some dive experience. One decent compromise is to start with a simple, used jacket BC for $100 or less, make sure it fits okay, then get a season or so of diving in until you get enough experience to evaluate, while diving, a backplate/wing system as well as a back inflate soft BC.

A simple wrist computer is a good purchase too; don't spend a lot on useless functions....there's no need to check your email (or heart rate) while diving. Dive gear companies have really gone overboard with bells and whistles on computers. The old suunto gekko was a very decent, simple, reliable wrist computer. You could probably find one of those for $100 too.

Unless your buddy is a trained instructor, taking you on an uncertified ocean dive was a bit sketchy, although it sounds like you did your best to be prepared. Have fun!

Unless your buddy is a trained instructor, taking you on an uncertified ocean dive was a bit sketchy, although it sounds like you did your best to be prepared. Have fun!

Generally I would agree with you in 99% of situations, But I know him, and this wouldn't be the first time I had trusted him with my life. Also I always go into any situation as prepaired as possible. I had plenty of knowledge, Asked tons of questions and had gone so far as to practice swapping out and tearing down equipment all while underwater. We swapped me over to his octo and totally tore my gear apart including the dreaded underwater mask off situation which I hate. Water up my nose HURTS due to a sinus condition. I simply solved that by depressing the regulator button and letting it free flow there by keeping my sinuses nice and dry :)

After we tore my gear apart and put it back together we went on my regs and tore his apart, then I put on his gear and he mine. So when the divde was over we were totally swapped equipment except for wetsuits.

It was quite fun.

Then we went to the ocean and kept our own equipment, No hijinx in the ocean at all. Just a nice relaxing dive.

Also I know about dive computers, I was talking about SUUNTO tank pressure and Depth meter. I am undecided as to whether to get a suunto dive computer, Mares or ScubaPro.

So you like diving?

Go get certified. Full stop. Going on one adventure dive is one thing. Don't do any more now. You don't know what you're missing. Get a good class.

Alright I have swear that will not get involved in a online discussion about gear choice .But hear it comes :D .Assuming that money mater -

Mask- Genesis SM5700 "Panview Purge" Four Window Mask

fins- Mares Avanti X3 Superchannel Fins @ Divers-Supply.com

BCD -there is not a single reason for anyone to waste money on BCD - Buy a back plate, stainless steal (my choise ) or aluminum ,plenty of opinions on those here on scuba board .The price in the end will be similar to a BCD (mares or sp)and you will get something that will last forever end will outperform Any BCD

Regs -here is the tricky part . Basically it is up to you to decide how much money do you want to bury in to those - here is a good quality,good price that i would suggest for a start

first stage - HOG Gear D2 First Stage - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

second stage -http://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/second-stage-p-2719.html

or combo - HOG Gear D1 Regulator Set - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

for octo - yellow hose end the same second stage

If you have the money to spend , go for this one - Mares Carbon 52 Scuba Regulator 416162 with reviews at scuba.com

analog gauge - any one will do just pick one that is not to big and is in the $90 -$130 range

Computer - here I will save you a bunch of money for a start go on ebay and buy any cheap computer that you like how it looks like .Than one year down the road if you still are in to scuba diving i bet you will have the best opinion witch one is the one that you must have and you will still be able to sale the old one and loose not more than $50 :D (don't forget to change the battery thou ) .Suunto is good but at this intro level any one will do !

Just my 2 cents :cool2:

afaik Suunto currently makes only one gauge set, their SM16/SM36 combo. This one: Suunto Analog Double Gauge

If you're not set on Suunto, Tusa sells a similar set that's $60 cheaper: Tusa Double Gauge (SCA-230)

There's also other options here: Scuba Diving Gauges with reviews on sale

Whatever Reg/BC/Computer you buy should be able to be serviced by one of your local shops so what they're dealers for may influence your decision.

Alright I have swear that will not get involved in a online discussion about gear choice .But hear it comes :D .Assuming that money mater -

Mask- Genesis SM5700 "Panview Purge" Four Window Mask

fins- Mares Avanti X3 Superchannel Fins @ Divers-Supply.com

BCD -there is not a single reason for anyone to waste money on BCD - Buy a back plate, stainless steal (my choise ) or aluminum ,plenty of opinions on those here on scuba board .The price in the end will be similar to a BCD (mares or sp)and you will get something that will last forever end will outperform Any BCD

Regs -here is the tricky part . Basically it is up to you to decide how much money do you want to bury in to those - here is a good quality,good price that i would suggest for a start

first stage - HOG Gear D2 First Stage - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

second stage -http://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/second-stage-p-2719.html

or combo - HOG Gear D1 Regulator Set - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

for octo - yellow hose end the same second stage

If you have the money to spend , go for this one - Mares Carbon 52 Scuba Regulator 416162 with reviews at scuba.com

analog gauge - any one will do just pick one that is not to big and is in the $90 -$130 range

Computer - here I will save you a bunch of money for a start go on ebay and buy any cheap computer that you like how it looks like .Than one year down the road if you still are in to scuba diving i bet you will have the best opinion witch one is the one that you must have and you will still be able to sale the old one and loose not more than $50 :D (don't forget to change the battery thou ) .Suunto is good but at this intro level any one will do !

Just my 2 cents :cool2:

Thanks for the info, That HOG setup if nothing else sounds like an excelent beginner setup for a very fair price. My only concern is having never heard of them.. How long have they been in the game? How much info do we have on long term survivability of their gear.

If nothing else I may buy HOG just so I can get in the game quicker and then buy Mares down the road and keep the HOG for a spare or pass it on to another new diver to help them get wet sooner.

One question.. You mention buying a backplate instead of a BCD? Umm how does that work as for flotation? I thought the backplate was the hard plastic piece that the tank strapped to? Maybe I am just confused but I thought unless you were using a drysuit you had to have a BCD?

I realise my questions may come off as total NOOB. Well, I am. but I do appreciate everyones help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom