Introducing: "The Pride of Aloha"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Natasha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
For the first time in nearly half a century, a modern, 2000-passenger cruise ship will fly a U.S. Flag. Today, on board the vessel
in San Francisco, Colin Veitch, president and CEO of NCL America and dignitaries from the Maritime Administration and the U.S. Coast
Guard raised the Stars and Stripes on Pride of Aloha, the brand's first U.S. Flag vessel.

Formerly Bahamian-flagged Norwegian Sky, Pride of Aloha just completed a multi-million dollar refurbishment in San Francisco. As a
U.S.-flagged ship, Pride of Aloha is crewed by nearly 800 seafarers and will offer a truly unique experience for cruise passengers.
With its distinctive Hawai'i decor and the gracious, friendly crew, mostly hailing from the Hawai'i Islands, the "Spirit of Aloha"
is felt throughout the ship.

Pride of Aloha will complete a series of Pacific Coastal cruises in June before setting sail for her new homeport of Honolulu.
Following an inaugural celebration and a christening on July 4th, she will begin her regular seven-day, year-round Hawai'i cruise
schedule. Visiting all four main islands and offering passengers up to 96 hours in port, Pride of Aloha features two overnight stays
in Kaua'i and Maui while also making full day calls in Kona and Hilo on the Big Island of Hawai'i.

Pride of Aloha features NCL's signature Freestyle Cruising, offering a diverse choice of six restaurants, resort casual dress code
and relaxed disembarkation. She also has 13 bars and lounges, two swimming pools, a spa and fitness center and conference facilities
among its many amenities. In addition, the ship features a Hawaiian cultural center called the Kumu Cultural Center (Kumu is
Hawaiian for source of learning). NCL America also offers spectacular shore excursions, including: Circle of Fire helicopter rides,
NCL exclusive Hoku Nui Luau, Maui downhill bicycling, visits to the Polynesian Cultural Center, and Waimea Canyon trips.

The 77,000-ton Pride of Aloha is a 2,000-passenger ship built in 1999 as Norwegian Sky. The ship is projected to annually generate
more than $275 million in expenditures, $199 million in direct and indirect wages and salaries, $42 million in federal tax revenues,
and nearly 7,000 jobs. Once NCL America's plans are fully implemented, their U.S.-flag ships are expected to generate more than $828
million in U.S. economic activity and 20,400 jobs, according to a PricewaterhouseCoopers study.

I would like to set up a group trip on this ship. Anyone interested in going?

I know he is! Great guy..I'm sure he will find this thread soon.

Found it! Hey guys. Yes, I am one of the two diving instructors that will be onboard the Pride of Aloha. I'm not sure when I'll be there yet, still waiting for the final paperwork to go through. It should be either next weekend or the weekend after that. Either way, I have heard many great things about the snorkeling trips that we offer in Hawaii and also the other excursions, like the helicopter tours. Once I get on the ship, I will be more than happy to give anybody a better description of any of the tours offered on this itinerary. Also, I've been known to take Scubaboard passengers out for a drink before so let me know if anyone from here will be joining me on the ship. Right now, it looks like this contract will be until 11/27/04 but that could change. If I am between contracts though, I can still give info on the ship from home because every contract from now on with NCL will be on the Pride of Aloha. I'll only go home for a month or so at a time. So fire away questions if you have them and thanks for the compliment Natasha. Glad I can help!

-Diver Colin

OOH, my ultimate dream is to go back and cruise Hawaii. My very first cruise ever was on the SS Independance, American Hawaiian Cruises. Their base operations is now the NCL Pride of Aloha as American Hawaiian Cruises no longer are there. Atleast that is what I was told while on NCL last Feb.

I simply loved that cruise and I know it would be 500 times better on a modern cruise line. I also, was not a certified diver back then so I would definetly love to go now as a certified diver.

I think I need to start my savings account going, because it is not a cheap trip.

Keep me posted if something does start to be planned, so I can see if it will be possible. I already have a cruise in the works next February from San Juan to St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Grenada, Aruba and Caracas Venezula. That is my Valentines cruise on the Golden Princess. I haven't decided yet at which port to dive. Any suggestions??

...let me know if you guys are joining me on the POA...we'll got for drinks! Just ask cdiver2. They joined me on the Wind and we had a pretty good time hanging out in the lounges with drinks. Come join me!

Back
Top Bottom