Intro to Tech - Cost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

being overly cautious, I thought I'd ask
In your theme of being overly cautious, it wouldn't hurt to read various course reports and general commentary by some of the more experienced tech divers on this forum about your instructor choice. While you'll certainly learn things from him, his methodologies are rather polarizing.

I agree with @grantctobin in that someone who describes himself as "overly cautious" might consider taking some time after learning the "introductory" stuff or basics of tech diving (notice I didn't say "fundamentals" :wink:) before heading into AN/DP or other what I like to call "mechanics" of tech diving course. Take some time to practice those basic skills first. Once you have the tech mindset and the basics of buoyancy, trim, propulsion, gas management, etc., down pat, how to "do deco" should come easy.

My Deco techniques (Intro to tech basically) was 250eur...
That price is insane. what about the price of the gear needed for the course.

That sounds really expensive, I’d get a second quote from another reputable instructor.

I’d question $300 to learn to use a Shearwater? Even if that included learning to plan the gas that sounds a bit ridiculous since you’ll do some dive planning in ANDP.

This isn't about whether or not to take the course or just jump into AN/DP I have decided to take it. i don't see the harm and I do see some benefit and (I thought) the cost wasn't much at all. However, cost might become an issue.

I contacted a reputable dive shop and asked for a quote for Intro. I was expecting to see what I had seen elsewhere. But they came back with the following quote. Seems over the top by a long shot to charge 1040.00.

They broke it down like this:

Class Intro to Tech Shearwater Dive Computer - $300
Class Intro to Tech Technical Gear Configurations - $300
Class Intro to Tech Doubles Primer - $300
TDI ONLINE ADCADEMICS - $140

For reference, Chatterton charges $750 and most other places charge in the 250-400 range for Intro to Tech (TDI). What am I missing that justifies that?

Thanks.

Please define "reputable"
$900 of instruction better be no less than 4 days in the water for an intro to tech course. You're in GUE fundies territory at that price which is a WAY better investment than whatever shop quoted you that and certainly better than Chattertons. I wouldn't recommend anyone take an intro to tech course from him.

They broke it down like this:

Shearwater dive computer and a set of doubles for a 1000 that's a bargain.

First of all...$300 + $300 does not equal $1000. (eta: come to think about it, no combination of the 4 numbers listed sum to $1000 )
Second, how do you interpret the OP to suggest he was getting a Shearwater and a set of doubles?

That was rhetorical question, please don't actually answer.

I know that inflation has happened since I stopped teaching, but I used to get $85 for my Intro to Snorkel Holder class.

First of all...$300 + $300 does not equal $1000. (eta: come to think about it, no combination of the 4 numbers listed sum to $1000 )
Second, how do you interpret the OP to suggest he was getting a Shearwater and a set of doubles?

That was rhetorical question, please don't actually answer.
. (Seems over the top by a long shot to charge 1040.00. ) I assumed for that money they would throw in the computer and twinset and he would haggle for the 40

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom