Intro- New to NE Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScottyK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hey all,

I'm going to be asking some questions over the next few months and figured it would be polite to introduce myself first.

My wife and I are originally from Long Island, NY. We were certified in 1997 and dove extensively for ten years (over 1,000 logged dives). At the time we stopped due to my wifes first pregnancy we were at what I would consider the area between advanced recreational and novice technical diving. We regularly dove local wrecks, the Caribbean, Florida caverns, The Gulf of Mexico and all up and down the Atlantic seaboard. We are actually two of the original founding members of the Wreck Valley Divers club here on SB.

After having two kids, changing jobs and moving all the way across the country and back we are finally looking to end a six year hiatus from diving. We have also settled in Shrewsbury, MA and really love it here. The plan is to start slow and ease back into things over the next 20 months.

It looks like our local shop is Central Mass Scuba in Worcester. We dropped in and checked the place out last weekend. I would love some feedback if anyone is familiar with the place. The shop seemed well stocked/run and the staff I did meet were great.

Anyway, that's the short version. Hope to eventually see some of you out on the water....

Scott

I'm originall from Worcester (live in the UK now). The guys at CMS are great, and always seem to be running trips. I bought my first set of gear from them. They didn't try to sell me anything I didn't need or want. I was working in the Caribbean at the time, so just got a bog standard warm water set-up. Let me try it all out in the pool they use for their classes. I'll probably end up seeing if they have any dives going out in April when I'm back stateside for my brother's wedding.

Welcome back to diving! If you or your wife are ever looking for a buddy, there are plenty of us here that dive year round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm originall from Worcester (live in the UK now). The guys at CMS are great, and always seem to be running trips. I bought my first set of gear from them. They didn't try to sell me anything I didn't need or want. I was working in the Caribbean at the time, so just got a bog standard warm water set-up. Let me try it all out in the pool they use for their classes. I'll probably end up seeing if they have any dives going out in April when I'm back stateside for my brother's wedding.

That's quite a lifestyle change, and I thought I moved around a lot!

Thanks for the recommendation. They seemed very laid back, and respected the fact that I'm already experienced enough to know what I want. The quickest way for a shop to turn me of is the "every other brand that we don't sell is junk" spiel...

We are probably going to take a couple of pool refreshers with them over the next few months, then do some easy shore stuff. They recommended and regularly go to Cape Ann, which looks like a good starting point...

Welcome back to diving! If you or your wife are ever looking for a buddy, there are plenty of us here that dive year round.

Lewis- Thanks for the welcome! We will surely be looking to meet other divers from the area. Not only to get some local knowledge, but also for the social/fun aspect. Some of the best friends we have are poeple we met though diving (and ScubaBoard).

Hi Scotty,
Welcome to Massachusetts I don't know if you have found it or not but there is a dive shop a bit closer to you. Mass Diving, Inc. - Learn to Dive I don't know much about them honestly I stopped in once while working in the area.

Thanks Aug. They are actually a little further away, but I'm looking for the best shop and will drive a bit for quality. They certainly seem large and well equipped if nothing else. I will check them out this weekend and post my impressions....

Scott

Thanks Aug. They are actually a little further away, but I'm looking for the best shop and will drive a bit for quality. They certainly seem large and well equipped if nothing else. I will check them out this weekend and post my impressions....

Scott

I know how you feel about traveling for quality. There is a shop under a 3 minute walk from my house, yet I drive an hour for most of my fills and gear.

Welcome aboard Scott. Hope to see you guys out diving locally soon! Cape Ann has great shore and boat diving options. In addition to local shops, there are various local dive clubs that coordinate local dive outings as well as trips. You have a built in buddy...but if you have times when you need to get out diving and don't have one......it's relatively easy to meet folks here and via clubs/shops to get out diving at least for some low key local shore diving. Between various local shops and clubs, there are dive outings both days of almost every weekend from April-October.

Some of the club options:

North Shore Frogmen | Scuba Diving Club | Salem, MA
MetroWest Dive Club
NEADC News

I am sure there are several more I am missing.

There are also lots of active local New England divers here on Scubaboard.....so another good way to find potential buddies and meet new folks.

If you guys are more tech-oriented, there are shops and charters that will cater to you as well.

Any questions - just ask!

Chris

Lewis- When it comes to diving, bargain shoppers need not apply lol...

Chris- Thanks so much for the warm welcome and the information!

We will definitely be wetting our fins on at least a limited basis this year. This coming winter we are going to get back into doing some training, and fully squaring away our gear. Hoping to be fully back into things by early 2014.

I'd love to accelerate that if I can, but having two young kids definitely rearranges your priorities.. I will look into the clubs, and I'm almost certain we are going to check out the March trade show in Danvers. Let me know if any of you are going to be there....

Sea Rovers should be great this year. There are some great workshops and seminars lined up. If my work schedule cooperates I'll be bringing some Scubaboard stickers as somehow I ended up with a pile of them a few years back.

Back
Top Bottom