Intro Cave Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

to not derail this thread any further I’ll leave it at that.
Safety in a cave thread is NEVER a derail.

Wouldn't that be a jump?

No. There's no line in there, run the reel from the surface.

Safety in a cave thread is NEVER a derail.
Exactly. For all you guys know, myself or someone else might read something wrong and go full retard.
4em0ek.jpg

Hey cave folks, I've been reading this thread with interest and I've got a question regarding drills. @tbone1004 recommended doing lights out exits/gas sharing. My buddy and I frequently practice many of the skills required for coming home after a failure on a (non cave) tech dive. As such, tbone's recommendation seemed sound to me (I would assume that such drill practice would be done nearer to the entrance).

So for the folks suggesting an instructor should be present for such drills, at what point does the cave diver reach a level where they can practice the drills they learned in training without instructor oversight?

Hey cave folks, I've been reading this thread with interest and I've got a question regarding drills. @tbone1004 recommended doing lights out exits/gas sharing. My buddy and I frequently practice many of the skills required for coming home after a failure on a (non cave) tech dive. As such, tbone's recommendation seemed sound to me (I would assume that such drill practice would be done nearer to the entrance).

So for the folks suggesting an instructor should be present for such drills, at what point does the cave diver reach a level where they can practice the drills they learned in training without instructor oversight?

I've got a couple buddies that routinely give me the opportunity to practice zero viz exits...

I think at the intro level recommending using up to halves on exit is a bit irresponsible. A lot of divers are still learning gas management and dont yet full comprehend just how bad your day can get when violating those rules.

Swimming into flow on 6ths for 20 mins takes way more gas than the exit does. Taking time to look at stuff on the way out doesnt need to burn into reserves. On places with low flow take time going in and out. It's not a race to the back or to see how far you can get. It's about enjoying the cave.

Swimming into flow on 6ths for 20 mins takes way more gas than the exit does.
New cavers should refine their technique so that it takes less air than it did the time before... and the time before.

When I was in high school, I raced canoes. It took at least a 100 miles to get the mechanics down. It took at least 500 miles to start to understand the hydrodynamics of the river. By a thousand miles I started to really read the river. By two thousand it became second nature.

High flow, low flow or no flow, learning hydrodynamics takes time. It's not always intuitive but it is learnable. This is the time to learn to think your way through the cave. Think, not bull your way through.

i think the point is to do them in ow not the overhead. After cave 1 my wife and I practiced some skills in places where you really cant get lost or silt like the peanut tunnel/breakdown room. We never shut lights off as we were told its not smart to do in the ih as it may not come back on. We did those skills in large caverns like at peacock. Or in ow. But you can atill deploy backups without shutting off your prinary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom