Intriguing, but worth the drive...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

syonker

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Gang,

Since a number of us have undoubtedly been there, I thought I'd solicit opinions on Bonneville Sea Base. I've heard anything from "it's neat" to "you're lucky if you can see your hand in front of your face" to "it's ok, if you like diving in fish poop". People have mentioned algae blooms, etc. Bottom line, nearly all the reviews I've heard are generally not positive; however, the thought of marine life in a hole in the ground in Utah is still a bit intriguing to me...Chime in and let me know your opinion if you've done this dive...

Additional Questions:
  1. Is it one pool, or are there more than one?
  2. How many and what kinds of marine life would you expect to see?
  3. What's the depth?
  4. Do they have air/NOX there?
  5. Is the price realistic?
  6. Am I missing anything?

Regards,

-S

Hi Gang,

Since a number of us have undoubtedly been there, I thought I'd solicit opinions on Bonneville Sea Base. I've heard anything from "it's neat" to "you're lucky if you can see your hand in front of your face" to "it's ok, if you like diving in fish poop". People have mentioned algae blooms, etc. Bottom line, nearly all the reviews I've heard are generally not positive; however, the thought of marine life in a hole in the ground in Utah is still a bit intriguing to me...Chime in and let me know your opinion if you've done this dive...

Additional Questions:
  1. Is it one pool, or are there more than one?
  2. How many and what kinds of marine life would you expect to see?
  3. What's the depth?
  4. Do they have air/NOX there?
  5. Is the price realistic?
  6. Am I missing anything?
My wife and I did it. It was quite the learning experience, especially since we did it on our own a few months after getting certified OW. :) I wouldn't drive all the way out here for that, but I'd say it's good to try it at least once.

They have a website that answers most of your questions: Bonneville Seabase - Utah Scuba Diving and Snorkeling Location - Inland Scuba Diving and Snorkeling - and the lady who runs it is very nice. Give 'em a call if you're curious, the number is 435-884-3874.

There's three pools, two of which are connected. One is the "Abyss", which is a circular well that goes down to 62 feet. It's quite dark, and I'd recommend using a light. My wife and I made it down to 40 feet before she got the vertigo and we paused a moment at a platform. She stuck to the rope, and I stared up close and personal at the platform, then we got out. Apparently there's fish in there, but I only saw the little tiny ones on the platform. We weren't enjoying that dive so we didn't really leave the safety of the rope/platforms. I'd go back just to dive that again, knowing what I know now.

The other two bays are connected, and shallower. This is where all the fish and nurse sharks are at. When we were there, a few years ago, the visibility had been stirred up by students and other divers before us, so we saw very, very little. I'd say we has less than 1-2 feet of visibility, which challenged us and made better divers out of us. I learned a lot about my comfort levels on this dive. :)

We never saw the nurse shark, but we were given some lettuce and the other fish came up and ate it from us. It's kind of freaky when you can't see anything until suddenly there's fish half the side of your head appearing out of nowhere and chomping at the lettuce in your hand (or, in my case, tucked into my BC). :) They list the various kinds of fish on the website.

They have an air compressor on the grounds, as well as all equipment rental. However, I have no idea if they supply nitrox mixes; you'd have to call and ask.

For $15 a day, the price is a good one. You're treated well and there are shower facilities to rinse off afterwards. She's got pictures of her various diving trips and all the animals she's snapped, as well as a library of books and videos for your surface interval pleasure.

As for missing anything.. I'd say not really. It's one to chalk up to "experience", but most people that have been don't really like it in my experience. There are classes that certify there, from Neptune Diving in SLC, and whether they enjoy it or not, I couldn't say. I mainly know "Crater folk" at my end of the valley.

Rollerboi,

Thanks so much for the feedback. It's nice to hear such a real account of how it is first hand. On the deeper pool, what would be your gess on the vis in there (I know you didn't have a light :))...? If I'm swinging by that way I could take my gear, but from what you say it's not worth planning a specific trip unless I'm looking for an excuse to get out (which sometime happens in our world).

-S

If you get there first thing in the morning, it's supposed to not be as bad. Call ahead and see if a class is scheduled to come in; those classes do a great job of knocking the algae off the sides and stirring up the water. Visibility's pretty bad all around but if you're mentally prepared for it, I don't think it's such a bad dive. Don't come out from Colorado to do it, but if you're already here.. :)

Someone else should pop in to corroborate this..

Last edited:
rollerboi did a good job at describing what it's like. They do have Nitrox on site for $12.
Not sure what the current vis is like in the Abyss. It was about 8 feet last time I heard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom