Into the Deep 3D Imax

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donnad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We went to see this film saturday night (in houston). It was filmed off the Santa Barbara Coast. We enjoyed the film, but we really felt like it was a ripoff!! It was only 30 minutes long!!! $10 apiece for the tickets, and $10 to park for a 30 min. film. That's just robbery. There's a new 3D Imax that just came out. I think it's called Under the Sea 3D and is narrated by Jim Carrey. It's not on the schedule yet for Houston or Galveston. But when it comes, it won't be worth it to me if it's only 30 min. long.

Most IMAX 3D films I remember having seen are on the short side.

IIRC, the camera they used for Into The Deep only shoots for short bursts of three minutes before requiring a film change. When you're talking underwater operations of a 1200 pound camera the size of a washing machine, sometimes to depths requiring extended decompression, including all the outtakes of improper lighting and focus and uncooperative animals, a 30-minute stitching together of some 100,000 frames to produce the final product is pretty admirable.

Hell, many divers I know can't handle a point and shoot, let alone one of these

55929d1235407063-into-deep-3d-imax-24-al-dave-take-charge-solido.jpg

Attachments

• 24 Al and Dave take charge with Solido.JPG
    24 Al and Dave take charge with Solido.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
It cost us over $40 for my wife, my grandson and I to see Under The Sea 3D plus the cost of a 120 mile round trip. It was worth every penny Ordinarily, I wouldn't want anything to do with a movie with Jim Carrey but as a narrator, he does a terrific job.

The movie will soon come to the IMAX in our town and we'll go see it again. It is a crowning achievement for Howard Hall. Forget the photography, which is superb, the marine biology alone is worth the cost. We consider it an educational expense (for our grandson, a Jr OW Diver) so any cost is ok.

The movie is fantastic!

Richard

Last edited:
When I saw Into the Deep, it was worth every penny. We had been diving earlier in the day and shot several pictures of Rainbow nudibranchs (Dendronotus iris) at Marineland. When one appeared in the film, the people sitting near us ooh-d and ahh-d. We looked at each other and smiled, thinking, been there, done that. :)
I had the pleasure of being invited to a private screening of Under the Sea yesterday hosted by Howard and Michelle Hall. The Q&A after the film was priceless.
Into the Deep cost ten million dollars to produce. As with all other IMAX films, anything longer than forty minutes would never be made.

Never heard of Into The Deep 3D, but I went and saw Under The Sea IMAX 3D yesterday and it was spectacular.

I believe it clocked in at about 41 minutes, but the quality of the 3D itself was more than enough to justify the ticket price. Nevermind the fact that you get to go nose to nose with a Potato Cod.

Highly recommend this flick for both the use of the delivery technology and the subject matter.

We saw Under the Sea the opening weekend. Now you need to go to the imax web site and see the filming of the filming. Absolutely beautiful.

i'll probably still see Under the Sea. i really do like ocean imax films. and 41 minutes is longer than 30:)

All I could think of is, you must be new to IMAX movies. They are all that short, not just the underwater movies.

We where very lucky. Wife won tickets for the 3D Into the Deep and it was excellent. I was really impressed with it. I really loved the sea snakes especially when the wife tried to get away from them. I would pay to see it again. Made me want to get back in the water even more.

Ok I must be missing something but I never heard of these films. What are they and any other details on them would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom