Intial cleaning of a new Rx mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaryRiley

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am new to diving and just bought a perscription mask.
I will be using it next week in Cozumel. What do I need to do to it before wearing it for the first time?

Thanks,

ok ... does it come with any instructions? if so, follow those

assuming it doesn't, wash the mask very well with non-gritty toothpaste to remove the film they put on them at the factory

i like to wash my new masks with toothpaste, rinse, wash again, and then leave the tootphaste in without rinsing for an hour or so, then rinse again

then wash again thoroughly one last time, and that should take care of it

Incorrect advice (unusual for H2andy).

Prescription mask lenses do not have the same types of coatings that come on factory masks. The glass is ready to wear, as it were, and needs no preparatory work whatsoever.

Go forth and dive!

MaryRiley:
I am new to diving and just bought a perscription mask.
I will be using it next week in Cozumel. What do I need to do to it before wearing it for the first time?

Thanks,

I'd check with the dealer. If the lenses are plastic, you can damage them with mask cleaner.

Terry

I normally advise students to use gritty toothpaste a couple times when cleaning new masks. Also to dry the lenses between applications since water will lubricate and make the toothpaste less abbrasive.

Lil bits of toothpaste particles won't scratch lenses.

But to answer the OP, custom prescription lenses are custom ground, so they don't come covered in wax/plastic. Off the shelf diopters may(?) be covered. I would go ahead and clean those as above. You won't hurt anything.

CompuDude:
Prescription mask lenses do not have the same types of coatings that come on factory masks. The glass is ready to wear, as it were, and needs no preparatory work whatsoever.

i didn't know that, cool

My lenses were glued into a mask that I had already cleaned and used for about 30 dives. The prescription lenses were ready to go. As with any new equipment, its always nice to hop in the pool with it for a trial run, especially if the mask is all new to you.

My sister used the prescription mask I bought her for the first time this weekend. It worked perfectly and we did NOTHING to it. I would check with the manufacturer before doing a thing, as others have said. You don't want to mess it up - especially for as costly as they are. Any other mask I would clean but with this one we didn't do a thing.

The thing to do is to take it to a cold water faucet and chill the lenses. The bring the mask to your mouth and let it have the steamiest exhalation you can muster. If it fogs it needs to be cleaned. That beats assuming some generalization regarding one optic shop or another. You may find that you need to clean some of the original surfaces.

On that note I will now go check my brand new prescription mask that I have not yet gotten around to prepping.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom