Interstate bridge collapses into Mississippi River

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was just on the news that this type of bridge is not the type used on the new US Highway System. They said this style has no redundancy so if one part fails the entire structure fails. Humm, this sounds like a major FUBAR that started 40+ years ago.

We have an old interstate bridge that was removed and replaced here locally over 30 years ago. Most of the old bridge is on the north side of the new one and 70’ down. It is just a mass of rubble stretched out over a ¼ mile with many entanglement hazards to deal with. We don’t dive it unless we have to for safety reasons and it is much safer than what this new one has to offer. Rebar and poor vis are not a good combination.

They are just going to have to take it a step at a time. It’s going to take hundreds if not thousands of dives to get the operation done safely and get the victims recovered. Then again they may just come in with heavy equipment and start removing sections. Who knows at this point?

Surface supplied commercial dives will need to be used in conjunction with SCUBA so I hope these folks can work together. I’

Prayers to everyone.

Gary D.

I think I've counted about five times this morning the SAR dive coordinators have had to explain what the hazards will be in trying to get to the submerged vehicles and recover the bodies. :25:

How do they even begin to clear this mess out of the water?

Any idea how deep the water is in the area?

Can someone who is a PSD explain the likely approach that the local teams will take and what that will involve for them over the course of the next few days, weeks and months?

leah:
How do they even begin to clear this mess out of the water?

Any idea how deep the water is in the area?

above the dam the USA Engineers maintain a minimum 9' channel.

I think I heard at one point close to the bridge it's 22 feet.

Leah asks a good question.

I am interested in following the progress of this operation. This is only a guess on my part how this operation will progress.

First off a major safety review will be undertaken to make sure the recovery process is as safe as possible if even possible. I am sure there are still concerns about the stability of the bridge. Since it is now a recovery operations this will continue at a slow and safe pace until such time either everyone is accounted for or until they feel they have reached the end of their capability. Concurrently invesitgators from NTSB and whatever agencies are applicable will spend a lot of time investigating the failure. Once all investigations are complete and the recovery effort is at its limit a major demolition and salvage company will likely be brought in to remove the debris. Large crane barges and other heavy moving equipment will be brought in and used to remove as much of the debris as they can. If any bodies are found during the salvage process then local authorities will be notified. They may even staff a representative on site during the entire process.

There maybe even be a temporary bridge project to help with traffic similar to Connecticut in 1983 when 100 feet of the Mianus River Bridge fell into the river killing 3. Since this was a major artery they had to get a temporary bridge up.

I have not seen any recent updates as to if the death toll has risen above 7. I hope it does not. The video was amazing.

Mark D.

So what does the chain of command look like in deal like this. We have heard from the president, the gov, the mayor, NTSB and so forth and some where in there is the PDS teams. Who makes the decisions on when and how divers get in the water and with so many big wigs involved what additional hurdles will this create?

What about the constant cameras? I am sure they will catch every bubble as it breaks the surface and that will more things to deal with as they do recoveries and don't want to have Aunt Mary and Uncle Joe being shown on national TV as they bring them up. Will they try to block the media or will the be bagging under water? I guess what I am really trying to ask is how the cameras might change the way the operation needs to be done

they will bring the bodies up in body bags so the media doesnt see anything. I'm guessing the FD chief will be the incident commander.

leah:
So what does the chain of command look like in deal like this. We have heard from the president, the gov, the mayor, NTSB and so forth and some where in there is the PDS teams. Near the bottom. Who makes the decisions on when and how divers get in the water The diver himself. The powers can make a request but it's up to the diver.and with so many big wigs involved what additional hurdles will this create?Lots but that can't be avoided.

What about the constant cameras? I am sure they will catch every bubble as it breaks the surface and that will more things to deal with as they do recoveries and don't want to have Aunt Mary and Uncle Joe being shown on national TV as they bring them up. Will they try to block the media or will the be bagging under water?Both. It isn't always possible to bag UW but when we can we do. I guess what I am really trying to ask is how the cameras might change the way the operation needs to be done
We just watch watch we scratch and where we are when we scratch it. Other than that cameras are just a minor irritant.

Something I hope they consider is not judging the current by the normal river current. With all that debris disrupting the flow it will be a mess. There will be many many slack areas. But for every slack area there will be fast moving areas. Some fast enough to trap and hold a diver. There will more than likely be some reverse flows that will also create problems.

This is a recovery and clean up operation. Other than training this is the most dangerous thing a PSD can do. Hopefully they will turn this over to the Army, Navy or commercial operations.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom