Interstate bridge collapses into Mississippi River

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BladesRobinson

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
FLORIDA / LAT 27°39.133' / LON 080°22.261' / ICW M
At least 7 people dead after collapse; hospitals say 37 injured
No indication that terrorism played role, Minnesota senator says
Early estimates of 50 to 100 cars on bridge at the time; collapse cause unknown
Survivors were being carried up the riverbank; weather could hamper efforts

(CNN) -- At least seven people were killed when an interstate bridge in Minneapolis, Minnesota, collapsed Wednesday evening, plunging cars and chunks of concrete into the Mississippi River below.
art.lacroix.irpt.jpg
corner_wire_BL.gif

There were "lots" of injuries, the state Homeland Security and Emergency Management Department said.
Local hospitals put the number of people hurt at 37 so far.
The accident occurred shortly after 6 p.m. (7 p.m. ET). There were 50 to 100 cars on the bridge at the time, according to early estimates. Witnesses described a "dust cloud" as the bridge collapsed.
Lt. Amelia Huffman of the Minneapolis Police Department told CNN affiliate KARE it was "not clear at this point what caused the collapse" of the Interstate 35W bridge near University Avenue.
"We have personnel there in the rescue effort," she said. "I have never seen anything remotely like this before."
Mark Lacroix, who lives on the 20th floor of an apartment building near the bridge, told CNN he saw the last seconds of the collapse.
"I heard this massive rumbling and shaking basically and looked out my window," Lacroix said. "It just fell right into the river."
He said there had been construction work on the bridge in recent weeks.
Construction took place on the bridge Tuesday night and was to take place again Wednesday night, according to the Minnesota Department of Transportation.
The highway would have been restricted to a single lane in both directions from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. both nights.
The bridge was undergoing redecking work, but nothing structural was being done, U.S. Transportation Department spokesman Brian Turmail said.
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security had no indication that terrorism played a role in the disaster, Sen. Norm Coleman, R-Minnesota, told CNN.
Coleman said Gov. Tim Pawlenty had told him the 40-year-old bridge was inspected and "given a clean bill of health" three years ago.
The nearby University of Minnesota Medical Center received "just a handful" of injuries from the accident, spokesman Ryan Davenport said.
"One of our hospitals has five patients so far, and the other on the other side of the river has none," he said.
Nancy Ebert of Northwestern Hospital said it had received four injured people -- two children and two adults.
Dr. Joseph Clinton, chief of emergency medicine at Hennepin County Medical Center, said the hospital is treating 28 injured people, six of them critically hurt.
He also said the hospital received one patient who was pronounced dead on arrival. "We have one drowning victim here, and I believe there are more drowning victims at the scene," he said.
Two hours after the collapse, a tractor trailer was still burning on the bridge and fire officials were attempting to put out the flames. The vehicle had been cut in half, said Kristi Rollwagen, a spokeswoman for the Minnesota Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Management.
Crews have been using boats to help remove people from the water, bringing them up on the river bank, but bad weather moving into the area could hamper the rescue efforts.
"I don't know how much more could go bad here, but right now, we've got the perfect storm brewing out there, so we're trying to work as hard as we can to pull people out of there" Rollwagen said.
Witnesses told CNN a school bus filled with children was on the bridge when it collapsed, but they also said the bus did not drop into the water and it appeared that the children had all been evacuated.
Aerial footage showed the middle of the bridge caved in, lying in the Mississippi River, with cars both on top and submerged in the water. The main part of the collapsed span is not submerged, but the span clearly separated from the land-based sections of the highway on both the north and south ends of the bridge.
A witness said it looked like "toy cars" were plunging into the water.
"I heard a terrible noise, and then I looked. It seemed like a piece of the bridge was pancaking and going down," said Janet Stately. "I said, 'Did we really see that? Did we really see that?' and it was unbelievable."
About 100,000 cars a day travel over the bridge, according to the Minnesota Department of Transportation

its big news down here also.....

they showing us footage of a female cop with a rope tied aruond her waist jumping into the water and wading thru, looking into cars for survivors

a terrible thing to happen and right now is when people step up and show how good a nation can be by their actions

I saw one of the news stations had a PADI "Rescue diver" spouting off....

they don't do dives like this, do they?

anybody else see her?

A river, all kinds of debris, rebar, oh man...divers won't be going in there till at least the fires are out...will they? I'd think they need to come up with something better than divers

I guess they ruled out terrorism, I'd don't see how

Somebody punched the wrong numbers into their Texas Instruments calculator, evidently
I hope more than one guy is responsible for that stuff...

sayin it was AGE, not so much structural, no pilings due to nautical river navigation.....one big arch...

Visual inspection only, the Feds really are cutting edge, arent they? I wish the Feds would rally and get fatigue sensors for those structural members....it looks like when the earthquake hit SF...

Catherine, its hard to say. Its really going to be up to the team on scene. Time can play a big factor in a lot of things. There really isnt a way to train for something like that, you can only imagine what it would be like... but I would venture to guess that teams will be hitting the water sooner then you would think.

catherine96821:
....I guess they ruled out terrorism, I'd don't see how.........

ive not thought this for a second until you said it......

i suspect its got more to do with the lowest bidding tender system and general wear and tear on the bridge

I doubt it is, but sounded kinda goofy to declare that the first hour...

Can you imagine the underwater scene though? gases escaping from cars and trucks, bad viz..., stuff settling, current, I can't see putting divers in that....I wonder if they will. Its dark now...

That rebar does funny things under stress too.
They put that stuff in under tension, I think and it pops like a big spring when the cement fractures in an earthquake...

catherine96821:
I saw one of the news stations had a PADI "Rescue diver" spouting off....

they don't do dives like this, do they? PADI only shouldn't be near there.

anybody else see her?

A river, all kinds of debris, rebar, oh man...divers won't be going in there till at least the fires are out...will they? Fire is no big deal underwater. In fact it's the best way to fight dock or harbor fires. I'd think they need to come up with something better than divers Why, it's just like another day at the office. Do your surveys and see what the bosses want to get done.

I guess they ruled out terrorism, I'd don't see how It sounds like the bridge had some serious issues going on with some supports.

Somebody punched the wrong numbers into their Texas Instruments calculator, evidently
I hope more than one guy is responsible for that stuff...

sayin it was AGE, not so much structural, no pilings due to nautical river navigation.....one big arch...

Visual inspection only, the Feds really are cutting edge, arent they? I wish the Feds would rally and get fatigue sensors for those structural members....it looks like when the earthquake hit SF...We don't seem to learn very fast.:wink:

Gary D.]

Gary, who dropped the ball here the Feds or the contractor engineers, would you guess?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom