Interstate bridge collapses into Mississippi River

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well, IF they only visually inspect a bridge with that capacity that is being worked on...thats a problem, I'd say.

Too early to even guess at this point, NTSB coming in- they're pretty thorough with their investigations.

catherine96821:
Gary, who dropped the ball here the Feds or the contractor engineers, would you guess?
Way to early to guess but it would have to be a lot of failures to cause that much damage. Just one thing failing shouldn't cause this much damage.

Gary D.

almity - guess I should turn on the news once in a while...happily my skype buds keep me in the loop!

I haven't heard anything from my friends/family who live there so am hoping all are safe and well.

My best to the rescue crews and to all involved!

I think they'll be central time zone so it should a quarter past 1 AM there- wait a few hours and give em a call before they head out to work.

Looked like at least two dive teams on scene early on from what I could see from the video feeds.

If the guesses I heard the reporters making of 50 to 60 cars submerged are anywhere near close to accurate they'll have their work cut out for the next couple of weeks.

Wow, that seems like it would be a pretty hairy rescue.

Looks like quite the entanglement hazard, not to mention the unstable overheard, although it would make sense that most of the vehicles went to either the left or right of the bridge.

What is the current like there? Would they run lines for the divers?

Indeed, very big news here - my best wishes to the victims and families.

I have been there before, and it seems to hit home a little harder when you have stood where such a tragedy has taken place.

I did hear on the late news last night that the chief of the fire department reported all divers and rescue efforts were terminated for the night and tomorrow(now today) they would go into a recovery mode.

My guess would be that the dive teams in that area are well trained to deal with diving in the river. The hazards they would face would be numerous but fairly manageable. My biggest concerns would be the structural integrity of the collapse. Similar to a building that is on fire you are always at risk for something to shift or give way.

Safe diving to all working today on the scene.

Mark D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom