Interoperability??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaPilot

Reaction score
I've been contemplating the rent v. buy debate for a couple of months. Given the direction I want to go with diving (deep wrecks here in NC), I am leaning more towards buying. I may be taking a wierd approach to buying my scuba equipment (but I'm wierd that way anyway).

Here is my thoughts. If I take my last rental bill of (roughly) $90, thirty of it was a computer, $30 of it was two Nitrox AL100s, and $30 of it was regs/BC/Suit/Weights. (The actuals were a little bit different but I'm keeping the math easy)

Obviously, a computer will be my first purchase. The Suunto Vytec with decompression and different gas mixes.

Now the point of my post.

After reading through Scubaboard, I've pretty much decided on an Apeks regulator. If I buy a regulator, will the low pressure hose fit the auto inflate on any BC that I rent? Are these standard? The reason I ask is because I was told (whether right or wrong) was that the Suunto computers wouldn't fit on the Scuba Pro regulators. (The wireless integration) I was told Scuba Pro had some proprietory fittings or something like that? (Is that true?)

So, other than Din v. Yoke, are there any non-standard fittings around I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance guys.

I am new here also but for what it is worth, rent tanks, buy everything else. You mention wrecks and some of those are deep. You really want rented equipment for that? Your dive rig should have purpose and definition even if you don't go over to the DIR methods. Wreck diving requires certain types of gear and skills. You need a rig that you can learn and count on. Renting this and that and mix and matching is not a good approach beyond trying stuff out in a pool. My opinion, sorry in advance if it hurts your bank account. N

ScubaPilot:
So, other than Din v. Yoke, are there any non-standard fittings around I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance guys.

Scubapilot,

Actually, the DIN versus Yoke issue is the most important when it comes to renting versus buying. By far and away, most operations renting tanks will only have yoke-style valves. If you have a DIN regulator with a yoke adaptor, you will be able to go anywhere.

I have five of the Apeks TX-100 regulators. Since I dive almost all RB now, they are used for sling and stage bottles. They are rugged , reliable, and excellent deep mixed-gas regulators. The only fitting on them that could be considered "non-standard" is the large-bore low pressure port to feed the second stage. The other ports are what we consider "standard".

As for the Suunto Vytec, the only notes I would point out about it are that it uses a "wrap-around" version of RGBM, not the full-up iteration. Also, it is known as a "very" conservative computer. These are not negatives, per se, as it is otherwise an excellent computer.

I would not think that the Suunto has a proprietary fitting, since then they could not sell it to a very wide market. The same for ScubaPro (and I know their fittings are industry standard).

I personally think that you have been wise to rent for a while, to give your self time to research and make up your mind about the gear you want to spend your hard earned dollars on!

Hope this helps. Cheers!

Scubapilot,

I have an gas-integrated Uwatec (Scubapro) and Zeagle Octo+ (Apeks) hooked up to an Atomic 1st stage. I'm not aware that the threads on high, medium or low pressure connections differ from manufacturer (with the notable exception of Dräger with their Dolphin RB as a safety measure).

That aside, both Apeks and Suunto are under the Aqualung umbrella (am not sure if they're owned outright, and by Aqualung or head corporation Air Liquide), so it would be very much in their intrest to keep them compatible.

The only differences you will find is when you want to use a normal inflator hose with a second stage integrated inflator such as the AirII or Octo+. For use with those you'll need special connectors/hoses as they need to deliver higher amounts of gas.

Simple solution:
If you buy the equipment at your LDS they will likely offer you to assemble the first and second stages and Vytec sender.

Back
Top Bottom