International Clean Up Day. Your input required!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thai

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi

We are just organising our very first beach clean up in Phuket, Thailand and was wondering if anyone who had attending one in the past can offer any advice as to how we can make this a success?

So far I have organised:

A Facebook event.
A free BBQ lunch.
A free water station.
Free bags and gloves (latex or cotton gloves...any ideas?)

All help gratefully received!

Free airfare from the States and I'm in!!!

Thai, this is a good effort. I'd recommend getting the word out to any local agencies/schools etc that might have ecology-minded persons. Consider offering some sort of raffle for a prize associated with your effort... maybe some snorkeling gear or a free dinner at a restaurant etc. Also maybe consider posting in some of the tourist hotels so that non-locals can help out and recognize that the locals are trying to make the experience better.

Corporate "sponsors", such as hotels, dive shops, the local tourist agency etc might be big opportunities to get support as well.

We're doing similar in NY on Sept 25th out on Montauk with Project Aware. Many countries are participating. Good stuff.

Project AWARE Foundation: Marine Debris

Good luck!

Thank you Sam and good luck also! I will post pics of the event on this forum.

Thai, this is a good effort. I'd recommend getting the word out to any local agencies/schools etc that might have ecology-minded persons. Consider offering some sort of raffle for a prize associated with your effort... maybe some snorkeling gear or a free dinner at a restaurant etc. Also maybe consider posting in some of the tourist hotels so that non-locals can help out and recognize that the locals are trying to make the experience better.

Corporate "sponsors", such as hotels, dive shops, the local tourist agency etc might be big opportunities to get support as well.

Great advice! I will be getting on with all of that over the next few days for sure, thank you! :D

Well the ball is rolling.... so far I have managed to get some great prizes...

1. A meal for 2 at a local cafe.
2. His n Hers Head Beach Shoes and Dry Paks.
3. A sauna for 2 and a bottle of red wine.
4. Maybe a Microsft Windows 7 download.
5. A free days diving or a Discover Scuba.

Everyone is being so generous, AND we get to clean up a beach that really does need some time spent on it. The prizes will be for the most strange/large/worst and most garbage collected.

Safe diving everyone, I will update you with more donations as we get them!
:D

Last edited:
That's great, Thai! Good luck with it. Wish I were there, I really enjoyed Phuket my last trip to Thailand.

Every dive is a cleanup dive for me. I try to bring as much trash back up as I can find and handle every time I hit a reef. Same when diving on ships. I wind up and pocket any fishing lines I find.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom