Interesting Use of Scooters at Ulua

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Al Mialkovsky

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I hadn't seen it done this way before. So do guys need to wear a cup when trying this?

Scooters.jpg

Someone I know over at Ulua rides the scooters. Did you happen to go out with Pete?

I thought that was the reason for the switch locks, which don't all work. If it works ride 'em, doesn't everybody (learned from Pete).

Can't tell which model Apollo's those are, but the AV-2 is designed to be ridden on that way, it comes with a saddle to do so. Those look like AV-1's though, based on the DPV BC you can see on the middle one. I'm guessing they rented them from Pacific Dive.

nope - Pacific doesn't rent scooters any longer (I tried lol), and the ones they have (for guided dives) don't have the saddles. I think most shops are that way now. Maui Dreams has the Apollos with the saddle, so I'd guess these are theirs.

sjspeck:
Can't tell which model Apollo's those are, but the AV-2 is designed to be ridden on that way, it comes with a saddle to do so. Those look like AV-1's though, based on the DPV BC you can see on the middle one. I'm guessing they rented them from Pacific Dive.

Oh I see it now. I thought they were regular scooters...without a saddle. I've been out on dives with someone that rides them but, there is no saddle. If I remember right, he used his foot to keep it moving. I've got some scooter dives planned in the next couple of weeks. I'll have to try it. It'll be a lot easier to handle my video cam.

Unless they got new scooters, I don't know if these have saddles.

Al Mialkovsky:
I hadn't seen it done this way before. So do guys need to wear a cup when trying this?

Scooters.jpg

Al: Glad you are enjoying your Hawaii diving. That is a great picture of hands free scooter riding. Using a saddle will increase the run times, decrease drag etc.. Plus it is a lot of fun.

www.apollosportsusa.com/Products/UWVehicles/AV2_Scooter.htm

That's Paula from Maui Dreams throwing the shaka. I didn't see her at the dive site this morning but I did see her cruising her motorcycle down south kihei road.

We went out on the boat with B&B this morning and then did a "quickie" shore dive. It's not noon yet so I'm thinking a movie. Time to off gas a little bit before we get back on the boat first thing in the morning :)

Back
Top Bottom