Interesting fun or unique dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sadly, this is no longer available 'cause it was an interesting and fun experience. It certainly was unique. Many moons ago I took an Underwater Basket Weaver specialty certification.

This clever marketing specialty turned out to be a very good course as the basket had to be assembled in mid-water without touching the surface or the bottom. So, it was a superb buoyancy control exercise.

The basket I made (image below) holds the patches I received in my early certification days.

View attachment 780310

Before I retired, my Underwater Basket Weaver Specialty Certificate was proudly displayed in my U of Michigan office (above a framework molecular model of a D2 receptor and my 3D molecular modeling workstation).

I hope some enterprising instructor would offer this again as it is superb marketing in a college town.
I am told a few places offer it tho not sure its in mid water!

*Blue Hole Santa Rosa MN

*Perch Lake Santa Rosa MN
If you're going to do those, you should put Rock Lake (right down the road) on your list. It's deep and has fresh water sponges. You'll need to go with an instructor/shop...

I'm not sure Perch would go on my list, but then it's kind of old hat to me.

If you're going to do those, you should put Rock Lake (right down the road) on your list. It's deep and has fresh water sponges. You'll need to go with an instructor/shop...

I'm not sure Perch would go on my list, but then it's kind of old hat to me.
I have been doing them all week lol. And yes unfortunate I wont be able to do rock lake since its just me.

Just dove Valhalla 2 weeks ago. Great trip, and yes they are still open but you need to have a dive shop reserve the place as it is not a "show up and dive" type of site
Very cool, who did you use for the shop? Do mind a simple recap of what he was like? Thanks in advance!

Sadly, this is no longer available 'cause it was an interesting and fun experience. It certainly was unique. Many moons ago I took an Underwater Basket Weaver specialty certification.

This clever marketing specialty turned out to be a very good course as the basket had to be assembled in mid-water without touching the surface or the bottom. So, it was a superb buoyancy control exercise.

The basket I made (image below) holds the patches I received in my early certification days.

View attachment 780310

Before I retired as a biochemist, my Underwater Basket Weaver Specialty Certificate was proudly displayed in my U of Michigan office (above a framework molecular model of a dopamine D2 receptor and my 3D molecular modeling workstation).

I hope some enterprising instructor would offer this again as it is superb marketing, especially in a college town.
I still have my basket & specialty card from taking that class too - it was lots of fun and really good buoyancy practice as a beginning diver !

I am looking to build a list of interesting or unique places to dive in the USA. More so the ones that not everyone knows about IE Athens Scuba Park in Tx.
Really enjoyed diving the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta, and Frederiksted Pier on St. Croix USVI:

I am looking to build a list of interesting or unique places to dive in the USA. More so the ones that not everyone knows about IE Athens Scuba Park in Tx.
There is also another dive park about an hour drive from Athens Scuba Park called The Scuba Ranch in Terrell Texas:

Can you dive it solo?
I have dived it solo many times back when it was called Clear Springs Scuba Park. They changed management in 2018, but have not been there recently so can't speak to their current policies:

Thanks I have done Homestead Crater it was a interesting dive
We do OW class training dives there....that 95 degree water sure beats 54 degrees at Seabase in January! :) By the way... Bonneville Seabase is at least "interesting", but I don't know if it's worth a drive from Montana. :) Bonneville Seabase

Back
Top Bottom