Interesting find...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karibelle

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Found this guy near the end of a 100 minute dive in front of Blue Angel. I've never seen one with this colouring before. And this one just sat there, unmoving except for his eyes for about 3 minutes. It was awesome!

DSC04783.jpg

Maybe, Greg. Full size, though. A mantis of some sort. I've been seeing a few of them out there lately, in some odd colour variations. Saw one dig a crab out of the sand and attack it a couple of days ago. :) This one was special in that he was just sitting there. Motionless. So still that for a moment I thought it was a sloughed off skin of some kind... so I reached to him, and he turned his head. Then continued sitting there.

I also have a short video of the sailfin blenny mating dance... we'll go out there, you'll bring your camera, and I'll show you - there are oodles of the blennies, and late afternoon they are dancing fools up by Papa Hog's dock. See you in a couple of days!

kari

Nice find. Cute little bugger.

It's a Neogonodactylus wennerae.Common name: Caribbean Rock Mantis Shrimp. They don't get very big, so this one could be fully grown. And the color is variable; the bright green ones seem to be found in shallow water.

Thanks, Quero! That looks to be right. kind of sad that most of the references on the web to this critter are for aquarists.

Well, they're small, so I guess they're just the right size for an aquarium. It's my understanding that their coloration is adaptive, so it makes sense that the bright ones would be in the shallows along with turtle grass and other green stuff to blend in with.

Here's some more info I found with a web search. I saw a dark brown one briefly for the first time in late March. It was in and out of the coral so quickly I couldn't get a photo.

This one is a Neogonodactylus wennerae. They are the most common species that hitchhikes in on live rock. They change color depending on environment, and can range from bright green to brown to maroon. They only grow to about 3", and are relatively peaceful for a mantis. They can't hit hard enough to break thick-shelled snails or hermits. They are also more active than the chiragra species, and are often out exploring the tank. She loves to eat krill from a bamboo skewer.

It's certainly pretty! I'll have to go looking for some next month.
Thanks for sharing...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom