Interesting article on U.S. Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don’t think it’s that easy because this is built into why and how America separated from Britain much differently than all the other colonies. One might think it’s dated for the modern world, but the American idea is built around a celebration of individual liberty, not any particular ethnicity, religion, or creed. We are imperfect to be sure, but any unified federal rule has been very difficult to implement as compared to other similar large high income nations. Rather than seeing us as an exception, we might just be a prelude to future trends.
Or... The 'European' system works great, and in the US, Americans do think their system works. This goes for tipping, politics, democracy, anything really. The question is: what do you value more. Here in Europe that is job security, health (insurance), some private time, work-life balance... And still we can make enough money to live a life and do nice things. Maybe in the US, other things are valued.

I believe HK is probably the only place in SE Asia that tipping is NOT uncommon.
It was really embarrassed when someone asked me why I left some money behind. He/she just burst out laughing when I said "don't you accept tipping"!!! I was not sure if the laugh was on the amount or it was very uncommon for them. I left hurriedly.

Do you anti-tippers stiff your dive crews as well? I see the benefit of being shown areas their standard divers don’t see, better care for my five equipment. Happy they fawn over us because we show appreciation for their skill and service. In the restaurant realm you are tipping for a dining experience.
I am planning a liveaboard trip to Egypt. I research the country that I will be visiting and their customs. As it seems to be customary in Egypt to tip the crew of the liveaboard, I reserve a part of my budget for that.
Tipping isn't in my system, or in my country's DNA. But if I go somewhere else, I will do my best to fit into the customs over there, even if just for a week. It's a matter of respect, I think. It's like making sure you cover your shoulders and knees when visiting the Vatican.

A few weeks before any international travel I take a look on-line to see what the tipping culture is at our destination. If the tipping culture is clear, I will usually try to conform. But if the food and service is good, I will fall back on my usual 15%. On dive trips, regardless of the country, I try to be generous.

Edited:
I posted this not having seen similar comments from @Cheizz.

In Europe, you go out for the evening, you sit, you talk, you drink, you talk, you eat, you talk, etc. Eating out is an occasion not a rush. If I want fast food I go to a MacDonalds!
Cultural difference. One of the issues for me eating out in Bonaire was frustration with ‘island time’ slow service and having to ask for the check. Once I learned about the cultural norm, I tailored my approach around it. The extended social occasion meal doesn’t seem quite as common in the U.S.

Sitting in O’Charley’s right now with wife and kid. We ordered appetizer and entrées when the server took our drink order.

It’s like sales tax, where is it going to stop?
I remember when 10% - 15% was normal, 15 being the high end. Now the bill is quadruple or more for your meal and they want 20% minimum.
What about the tip jar on every counter at every Starbucks or any to-go style counter food/beverage service place? I thought tipping was reserved for sit down service and for good service at that. I’m seeing tipping become more and more standard at all sorts of other service businesses too, not just restaurants.
I think it’s just a case of runaway tip inflation and an opportunity to pressure people into paying more. And yes, it takes pressure off employers to pay more towards the living wage. What irks me is when I see the tip jar get emptied into the till or into the pocket of the owner or manager and the employess get nothing.
I do not put anything into counter tip jars when I take food out.
Dive charters are completely different in my opinion. I have not been on a boat in years but my standard back then was $20 day. If I suspected the owner pocketing to the tip money that was supposed to be for the boat crew, I would personally hand the divemaster that attended to me the $20.
If the boat crew is worthless like it was once when I took a charter out of San Diego then they get nothing. 4 young deck hands standing around BS’ing ignoring everyone while people are struggling on the dive platform and try to climb the ladder/ get their gear off etc.

And there's your transatlantic cultural difference right there.
Depends on “fawn” for my trips to Cozumel for example being picked up /dropped off at the hotel by the dive master, fishing during surface interval, eating the mahi-mahi we caught for lunch in the next day. I appreciate the service. I lived abroad, mostly in the Middle East and spent a decade in the restaurant industry in NYC. I have a pretty good idea on diners behavior based on where they are from. Having dove and fished around the world , people appreciate recognition for a job well done and remember your gratitude the next time around.

I am planning a liveaboard trip to Egypt. I research the country that I will be visiting and their customs. As it seems to be customary in Egypt to tip the crew of the liveaboard, I reserve a part of my budget for that.
Tipping isn't in my system, or in my country's DNA. But if I go somewhere else, I will do my best to fit into the customs over there, even if just for a week. It's a matter of respect, I think. It's like making sure you cover your shoulders and knees when visiting the Vatican.
Having lived in that area and been to Egypt you will have a great time.

Tips are not expected but appreciated.
Taxi driver in Singapore will give you exact change and does not expect tips. Different story in HK.

Having dove and fished around the world , people appreciate recognition for a job well done and remember your gratitude the next time around.
Yep, no argument there, and just for the avoidance of doubt, I wasn't "taking sides" earlier. However, as a general rule I suspect the behaviours @Cheizz described will be more likely to make a "European" uneasy than an "American". The stereotype of the surly French waiter is there for a reason :wink:

Back
Top Bottom