Integrated weight BCD or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lately I have been expierementing with both while trying to find what works for me. So far, I think I like the idea of having integrated weight for my wetsuit and adding a belt when I dive dry. Keeps everything simple. I'll store the extra weight with the drysuit accessories, it gives me the ability to wear the belt around my hips to keep my legs slightly down, and helps to manage my bubble (if only a little). Just make sure you can ditch the belt and the intigrated weight in either order without any snags.

What I'm trying to decide now is whether or not I want to buy a rubber belt and give that a try. I'm wondering if it will make a difference at all with the drysuit? Any thoughts?

If I'm diving in cold ocean water and using a 7mm wetsuit, I need more weight than a weight belt can handle due to it slipping off my hips. I love the DUI weight harness.

I'm going to give my +1 to weight integrated but as with most equipment it's a matter of opinion and what you are comfortable with... I say if you've tried both and like a weight belt better then dive with a weight belt.

I as well as my GF whole heartedly recommend the rubber belt from MAKO! I ordered one for her and have been hesitating on one myself until she got back from her liveaboard trip last week. After hearing her talk about it and how well it worked I am ordering mine later this afternoon. Now the only reason I did not go for it before was because I already have half a dozen nylon belts in various sizes and set ups. But the more I get into sidemount and some free diving the rubber makes too much sense to not have one.
And even with integrated weights, especially diving dry, it can be very dangerous to put all your weights into one system. Even when I used an integrated bc I always had what I considered to be my ditchable weights on a belt. Usually no more than 4-6 lbs. Out of 28-30. The last thing you want to do is drop a pocket with 8-10 lbs in it. For most that would be a third or more of your ballast. But shops and instructors rarely if ever tell you that. They want to sell you on the "benefits" of not having or needing a belt. What they are really selling is a line of bs that could get someone hurt.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Another consideration, If you have a lower back problem like I do, integragted weights prevent the weight "hanging" on your lower back while you swim in a horizontal position. I used to have back spasms after every dive, now using integrated weights I never have a problem.

Other that when I got certified I have never worn a weight belt. All dives for have been integrated. Couple days ago I was diving Catalina island in rental gear and I had a weight belt with integrated weights with 20 pounds. By the end of the second dive my lower back was starting to really ache.

Even though I am missing a disc and have known back issues I never have that kind of lower back aches when diving integrated weights. Having the wait belt hang right where my back is weakest is not optimal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom