Integrated weight BCD or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first BC was was weight integrated/back inflate, I hated it. I love my jacket style and weight belt. It is all a matter of preference and what works for you.

Out of sheer curiosity why did you hate it?

Out of sheer curiosity why did you hate it?

The list goes on and on, there was nothing I liked about it and I used it for several dives. The weight I had to carry in the BC bothered me out of the water, the back inflate kept pushing me forward on the surface. I could not get it to vent properly, even had that replaced hoping it would help.

Everyone told me I would love the Zeagel, and most people do, but it just didnt work for ME.

I agree with Linda....you have to figure out what works for you. If you prefer a weight belt to an integrated BC, go for it. It doesn't matter what I do, or anyone else for that matter, what matters is what you like.

Thanks for the info. It's just useful for advice in sales. I completely agree that everyone should work out their own rig with comfort, purpose and safety in mind.

I've got an oceanic chute 3 which is also backinflatable but more standard BCD like than the zeagle. I can kind of fix the pushing over with lead on the shoulders but it can be a ***** especially for rescue exercises.

I've thought about getting a zeagle at one point but they just seem kind of well huge. Now I'm a bit more interested in diverite or deep supply. Especially if the venting is not so reliable. Was it broken or just impractical?

I've thought about getting a zeagle at one point but they just seem kind of well huge. Now I'm a bit more interested in diverite or deep supply. Especially if the venting is not so reliable. Was it broken or just impractical?

That was so long ago I really don't remember. I bought the BC I use now in 1995, all I remember is try as hard as I could I just could not get the air out of the BC either before or after they changed the part out. May have been a user issue, who knows.

For me it's belts all the time. It's your dive so use what YOU want to use. Everyone on my team is in a belt. NO integrated, other than a couple of trim pounds, PERIOD.

Gary D.

With my dry suit, I have used 1) a Ranger, 2) a Ranger with a DUI weight and trim harness, 3) a Ranger with a weight belt, 4) a SS BP with a weight belt, and 5) a SS BP with steel doubles with no added weight. I prefer the latter rig, with #4 coming in a close second (with a single steel tank). While I love the fit of my Ranger, I find it is a bit bouyant by itself, and adds to my weight requirements. In a dry suit (with undergarments), with a single AL80 tank, I simply need too much weight to go with the Ranger by itself, comfortably. Even if you can stuff enough weight in the pouches, they do not go into the Ranger pockets easily when full. For all the virtues of the DUI harness, I don't like how it feels in the water, particularly when wearing it low. The comment that the weight has to go somewhere (shoulders, through the BC) or waist (belt) is a good one. And, as several have said, you have to find what works best for you. What works for me is either all the weight on my shoulders (BP and doubles), or most of it there with some on my waist (6 - 14 lbs, depending on the tank metal and number, and the water - salt vs fresh). The downside of having it all on my shoulders is lack of easy ditchability.

I personally cannot stand diving with a weight belt. Weights on weight belts dig into my hip bones and make it about miserable for me. I have a Zeagle Concept BCD and use integrated Sea Pearl weights and have no problems. It is sort of a pain if I don't have somewhere higher up to set up my things so I can just back in and put it on myself, but I usually dive with lots of strong males who are more than happy to lift it up for me to get in. :wink:
As everyone else has said though, it is totally a matter of personal preference. The only thing that matters is how you feel when you're underwater. You don't want anything to take away from that experience. I'd much rather be inconvenienced on the surface than underwater.

Personally, I'd get and do have a weight intigrated BCD... the dumpable pockets in front can also become non-dumpable pockets.... you can always wear a weight belt with a weight integrated BCD

Astounding,

should a BC not be neutral or negative to start with?
add a steel tank and you will require even less on the weightbelt.

and the Weightbelt is only to offset the positive buoyancy of the wetsuit
and boots and of course you body mass.

Having weights in the BC? what if you need to take it off under water,

(yes it used to be part of the basic required skills to be taught in Open Water)
but then it maybe not taught with all agencies.

lifting this extra weight up to the boat is another great idea , who thought of this?

For comfort, get a lead shot Weightbelt, it is soft and won't bruise your hipbone,
and incidentally it keeps the skipper happy too.

Golly

Back
Top Bottom