Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, now I understand the source of the confusion. Washington state is one four states that run their own mandatory workers comp program that covers workers injured in the course of employment. The same entity the Washington State Department of Labor & Industries (L&I), runs both the workers comp insurance program and the OSHA-compliant WISHA worker safety program.

I am not familiar with the details of the L&I workers comp insurance program, but a quick search suggests that you can buy into it as a self-employed solo worker. If so, then at least you would have some coverage for injuries suffered while working as a solo commercial diver. But if you wanted liability coverage for stuff like damage to a vessel you were working on or if someone tripped over a piece of your equipment, you'd still have to try to get it in the private market. Such coverage is unlikely to be available, at least at a reasonable price, for solo commercial diving operations.

Do OSHA regulations now affect people that are self employed? OSHA is an insurance company. The reason they have regulations is to limit their exposure. I once made the mistake of taking their insurance for myself during a time when I couldn't find a health insurance company that would insure me for on the job injuries. Big mistake, and I got out of it. So far, when I tell a L&I inspector (Washington's version of OSHA) that I am the only person allowed to run a certain machine, the inspector has no interest in that machine.
No. Sole proprietorships are exempt from OSHA. I flew under the radar this way for many years with my insurance companies blessing. I had insurance because the client required it, and followed the general intent of OSHA, but did not follow the letter of the regulations.

To the OP, your insurance is based on your income, I paid $2500 yearly against about $40k of revenue. I will send you my insurance companies name by PM

@Wookie
What kind of commercial diving were you doing and how long ago was this? it would be interesting to see if such a policy is still available.

It's hard to see how you could even approximate OSHA-compliance, since the regs end up requiring a minimum of 3 people for any commercial dive. Even a sole proprietorship falls under OSHA as soon as they hire employees, even on a temporary basis.

You are correct that OSHA regulations do not cover the self-employed. So, like I said above, if you are willing to do all your work solo, then go ahead. But don't expect to find insurance that will cover you or your customers while you do it.
it’s pretty easy, many companies only start out with single member, and they get Insurnace all the time, you can exempt yourself from w/c too.

@Wookie
What kind of commercial diving were you doing and how long ago was this? it would be interesting to see if such a policy is still available.

It's hard to see how you could even approximate OSHA-compliance, since the regs end up requiring a minimum of 3 people for any commercial dive. Even a sole proprietorship falls under OSHA as soon as they hire employees, even on a temporary basis.
But a sole proprietor doing the diving does not have to meet the OSHA requirements for an employee that is a diver. He would have to make sure the people driving the boat and handling the lines were protected from injury.

it’s pretty easy, many companies only start out with single member, and they get Insurnace all the time, you can exempt yourself from w/c too.
OK. Thanks for the correction.

@Wookie

Ships husbandry and practice mine recovery for a navy contractor. On the ship, changing transducers. On the mines, making jump dives to attach a tether so the mine shaped could be recovered by surface craft.

It isn’t an employee if you split the contract and dive from a navy craft.

Do OSHA regulations now affect people that are self employed? OSHA is an insurance company. The reason they have regulations is to limit their exposure. I once made the mistake of taking their insurance for myself during a time when I couldn't find a health insurance company that would insure me for on the job injuries. Big mistake, and I got out of it. So far, when I tell a L&I inspector (Washington's version of OSHA) that I am the only person allowed to run a certain machine, the inspector has no interest in that machine.
That is not correct.

This is such a confused mess that is hard to know how to respond. OSHA is not an insurance company and offers no insurance coverage, it's a federal regulatory agency that directly oversees the safety aspects of all commercial diving operators in the US (and several US territories and affiliated entities). The regulations are written to keep workers safe, not to limit the liability of the US government. The old saying that they are written in blood is absolutely true.

You are correct that OSHA regulations do not cover the self-employed. So, like I said above, if you are willing to do all your work solo, then go ahead. But don't expect to find insurance that will cover you or your customers while you do it.
The problem is that OSHA requires ALL diving jobs for hire to be a three man dove team. So, unless all three divers are owners, you’re screwed in several ways.

This is all amazing information! Thank you all so much! Seeing as I will be doing this mainly as a solo side gig for some extra beer / spending money, I am going to look into ami as recommended by Wookie.

Thanks again for an off the info!

-Owen

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom