Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Now that we have the new camera we of course want to insure it. Is it best to sign up with the one that is included in the box? The rate sounds reasonable. What do you have and for how much is it insured? Does the sum cover what you actually paid or the average replacement cost? Is it easy to upgrade when we do get that much needed strobe?

Thanks for any feedback!
Aloha,
Lisa

Which one was included in the box?

I've been using DEPP since 1997. We have all our gear insured with them, even before they started requiring 2 pieces of major gear (reg, computer, BC, etc). I'd have to get my policy out to double check but IIRC we have about $8500 coverage for about $185 a year. To change anything only takes printing a simple form from their website, faxing it back to them and for me, a followup phone call to make sure they got it! They have a $25 deductable plus 10% of the repair but not over $250, unless it's changed in the last year or so. Some of the other programs have lower premiums but higher deductables....6 of one, half dozen of the other, it's all a trade off.

I've made one major and several minor claims over the years and have always been satisfied. They've been quick, courtious, helpful, etc.

My DEEP policy says $250 deductable for water/flood damage and $100 deductable for other losses,as does their web site at DAN.

Same here. I have DAN's equipment insurance. Fortunately I have not had any claims. I can tell you the customer service is pretty good and if I did have to file a claim, I do not expect a dragging of the feet or runaround that insurance companies are known for. I get a good "vibe" from them. Although I cannot comment on DEPP service, I can say that I have not heard anything negative about them. And either insurance is better than none.

onbelaydave:
My DEEP policy says $250 deductable for water/flood damage and $100 deductable for other losses,as does their web site at DAN.

It's been almost 2 years since I had a claim and that's what the deductable used to be. I know they changed carriers in the last year or so and things had changed a bit. Every year I make whatever adjustments, +/- gear, and send the premium.

Lisa....Where did you get the housing? I've heard some places are giving 1 years free flood insurance....maybe that's what you got. Either way, I think you'll be happy with DEPP. I won't take a camera in the water without it.

Just found this thread using the search engine. It answered the questions I had about DEPP and reminded me that I also got one year insurance coverage on purchase.

BTW DEPP states that the minimum deductible is $25.00 per occurance on equipment loss. Flood deductible is 10% of repair/replacement cost with a minimum of $25 and a max of $250 USD.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom