Instructors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
IMO, the big thing missing from dive training today is mentorship. Too many divers don't have mentors and FAR too many instructors don't have mentors. In this system we are mass producing instructors who are mass producing divers who are becomming instructors who mass produce other instructors. The end result is that we have a bunch of generations of the blind who were led by the blind.

-Clone 1: "You know how, when you make a copy of a copy, sometimes it doesn't turn out as good?"
-Original: "What's he doing?" (as clone 2 shaves his tongue)
-Clone 1: "Don't worry, I took the blade out."
----Multiplicity

Walter- I couldn't agree with you more than I already- But still, even the best instructor you'v ever trained, and was magnificent at the end of his instructor course was probobly a lot better after the first time he tought a course, and after the second time and so on. You get better with time. Admitedly, a lot of instructors get a lot better than how they started, and still are very bad. Yet better than how they started. And it ususaly has a lot more to do with their brains and people skill than with "How long" they'v been diving for.

Big-t-

I've seen quite some instructors that think themselves the best there is, and have experience of decades, yet still are lousy divers and worse instructors.

"even the best instructor you'v ever trained, and was magnificent at the end of his instructor course was probobly a lot better after the first time he tought a course, and after the second time and so on."

I completely agree, but while that may have been what you meant in the other post, it wasn't the message that got across.

Liquid once bubbled...
But still, even the best instructor you'v ever trained, and was magnificent at the end of his instructor course was probobly a lot better after the first time he tought a course, and after the second time and so on. You get better with time.

Not sure I completely agree with you.

I'm going through my Assistant Instructor course right now, IE might be on 14th-15th June (I say might because I'll only decide after completing AI), the whole thing is done in cold Belgian winter (1 inch ice on our usual divesite last Sunday).

Looking at all we have to muster and (theoretically) pass on to new students (not sure about further education) I think that if I start teaching immediately after my own OWSI certification everything will still be fresh.

I won't be experienced, I won't be the best, but standards will still be there in my mind.

A conscentious professional should keep up with those all the time, update him/herself and all, but let's be honest, how many people, especially those living and working on some small island off the beaten track (Maldives just spring to mind) really do that?

Nowadays you can even complete the annual revision (PADI forum as they call it) on the Internet :confused:

Walter once bubbled...
"even the best instructor you'v ever trained, and was magnificent at the end of his instructor course was probobly a lot better after the first time he tought a course, and after the second time and so on."

I completely agree, but while that may have been what you meant in the other post, it wasn't the message that got across.
Walter, are you still an instructor trainer?

diveaustin once bubbled...
OK. Say you know a instructer received their OW cert just 2 years ago...their DM last year...and now just got their Instructer. Would you refer a friend to them to get certified?
There is nowhere near enough information here to answer the question. Is this instructor a good one?
If your question is, really, "Is it possible that this diver could be a good instructor?" then the answer is a qualified "yes." But it is a better than even chance that with such limited experience (and we don't really even know that, do we? After all, a diver who starts with the commitment to become an instructor could easily accumulate over a thousand dives in two years if they're in the right place and with the right shop) this instructor would still be pretty "green." There is also a substantial chance this instructor would be just fine or even excellent.
Got any amplifying information?
Rick

I don't see why not if your friend is skilled and a competent teacher.:wink:

chiara once bubbled...

Not sure I completely agree with you.

I'm going through my Assistant Instructor course right now, IE might be on 14th-15th June (I say might because I'll only decide after completing AI), the whole thing is done in cold Belgian winter (1 inch ice on our usual divesite last Sunday).

Looking at all we have to muster and (theoretically) pass on to new students (not sure about further education) I think that if I start teaching immediately after my own OWSI certification everything will still be fresh.

I won't be experienced, I won't be the best, but standards will still be there in my mind.

A conscentious professional should keep up with those all the time, update him/herself and all, but let's be honest, how many people, especially those living and working on some small island off the beaten track (Maldives just spring to mind) really do that?

Nowadays you can even complete the annual revision (PADI forum as they call it) on the Internet :confused:

First of all, dont be discouraged- certain instructors start very good, and just get even better with time. Knowing the standards IS important, but frankly, has very little to do with how good an instructor you are. If you bore the class to sleep, what does it metter that you know standards say they have to be able to do so and so?

A lot of the experience an instructor get's come's with the work. What should you emphasize, and what will only bore the students in class is one such thing. Another thing is the way you work in water. After some time you can actualy FEEL troubles befor they happen, and I'm reffering to troubles that happen maibe once in every 10 courses. Some things have to do with time management, and repeatin exercizes. Evaluating the students and so on. I call it developing an "EYE". You can spot things ahead and get ready, choose the best solution for a situation out of several, which are already stored in your head. Along with time (and experience) you will develop more solutions and so on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom