Instructor shoving people off lines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i imagine that getting his license pulled is the least of his worries if he continues to conduct himself in this manner. some day he is going to piss off the wrong diver.

I seriously stopped and thought about it underwater but he had students coming down and I had a buddy who just went up uncontrolled. I really wanted to start a physical altercation on land for a while but I never found him. However, I also figured seeing that between divers with all the students around (the instructors I knew there had almost 30 students between them alone) would probably discourage some from being an active member of the diving community.

I know you guys were kidding about the knife stuff but, I do not advocate having a physical altercation, particularly underwater. Like I said before, I'd have a stern conversation with him, away from his students. No sense in getting them involved. Since guys like that don't listen well anyway, I say my peace and move on.

I would counsel instructors that if they drop a line near the steps, people are going to use it. They should head for the sand and drop one there instead.

I try to be especially understanding and tolerant when divers are having trouble exiting on the stairs at low tide. It is not easy unless you have done it a number of times and know the best tricks to use (most of them don't work well at very low tide). I have sat back in the water waiting patiently for divers to exit, knowing that even after 2,000+ dives in the dive park alone, I could look like a miserable flop exiting.

The situations I DO have a problem with are when divers, even students with their instructors, exit and then stay on the lower stairs preventing others from exiting the water until they finally move up. Divers exiting when there is a line waiting to get in should land on the lower stairs and walk backwards up the stairs to the large, flat "step." It is designed to be a place where divers can remove their fins and not be in the way of other divers trying to exit. Many times I have had to ask divers basically "sitting" on the lower stairs after exiting to "clear the lower stairs" so others could exit. Once an instructor and his wife actually stood on the lower stair for at least 10 minutes while I patiently requested this. Getting no response from him other than that they were "trying" (by standing still on the stairs?), I finally came in and made contact with them as I exited. They complained saying they had only been there two minutes, but observers at the top of the stairs corrected them and said it had been about 120 minutes. Inexcusable behavior.
There was a logjam on the stairs once when I surfaced, so I just exited on the rocks like we did in ancient times before the stairs were there. One of the divers on the stairs came up to me later and called me impatient. :shakehead:

There was a logjam on the stairs once when I surfaced, so I just exited on the rocks like we did in ancient times before the stairs were there. One of the divers on the stairs came up to me later and called me impatient. :shakehead:

I used to use the rocks if the stairs were jammed, but diving with my underwater video gear has me a bit more cautious than in the days before they were constructed. "Impatient?" More like experienced if you ask me, right Phil!

Back
Top Bottom