Instructor reference - Hilo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoBlue!

Contributor
Reaction score
Helo, all-

Two very close friends of mine will be living & working in Hilo Sept. 1 - Nov. 30 this year. They have never experienced scuba, and are very interested.

I am hoping that someone could recommend an outstanding instructor/operation in the area, as I think it'd be more pleasant to take their basic cert course in Hawaii rather than the lovely surrounds of Nashville, TN.

They DON'T want the fast, wham-bam-here's your card-ma'am type course. They're much more interested in a thorough instructor.

Recommendations?

Thanks,
Jim
(intensely jealous, as I've never been to Hawaii, but will have to live it vicariously for now. :wink: )

There're only two shops in Hilo that I know of:
Nautilus Dive Center: www.nautilusdivehilo.com and Planet Ocean Watersports (808-935-7277)

I spent many childhood days in Hilo and it never struck me as diveable place; too much runoff, cold, blustery, black lava. Great living if you're moss. Obviously, that impression is wrong; the Nautilus shop has been there awhile. Never dropped in but clearly remember driving by it and thinking "Geez, this shop must have shelves stocked full with echos" -- sort of like that dive shop near Heavenly up at Tahoe. I'd be interested in a report.

How much of a trek is it from Hilo to reasonable diving? They'd be more than willing to take weekend trips if the diving is much better.

Jim

GoBlue!:
How much of a trek is it from Hilo to reasonable diving? They'd be more than willing to take weekend trips if the diving is much better.

Jim

Hands down, the place to be for diving is the other side of the island; a 2-1/2 hr drive (less if you put pedal-to-the-metal and don't get stuck behind some ruddy tourists) from Hilo to Kailua-Kona going the northern Hamakua route which, by the way, is one heckuva beautiful scenic drive (Donna's shortbread cookie factory in Paauilo, yum). Or, if you want to cut it about halfway, there're a couple of outfits operating out of Kawaihae Harbor in the upper Kohala area; Kohala Divers and Mauna Kea Divers (google for their websites). Once you're in the Kailua-Kona area, you can't spit without hitting a diver or dive shop; check other postings on this board for suggestions.

Hilo's a great town though. I'd be living there if I could (yeah, I'm kind of a moss). The kind of town where shopping means a fresh-air walk among downtown storefronts instead of inside a mall (Prince Kuhio is as mall-ish as you'll find there) and people give directions and memories by landmarks rather than by route numbers and dates. Gad, there was a time not long past when you'd step off the plane in Hilo and would literally smell flowers; the air would have the fresh-after-rain crispness that made your citified lungs hurt.

OK, sounds good. So I guess I need to broaden out now.....any instructor recommendations in Kailua-Kona or Kawaihae Harbor?

I've seen way too many instructors who are teaching the "resort type" courses, and that's not what these two want. They want someone who's willing to go the extra mile to give them a good dive education.

Jim

GoBlue!:
OK, sounds good. So I guess I need to broaden out now.....any instructor recommendations in Kailua-Kona or Kawaihae Harbor?

I've seen way too many instructors who are teaching the "resort type" courses, and that's not what these two want. They want someone who's willing to go the extra mile to give them a good dive education.

Jim

PM sent...

Well, Hilo diving isn't as bad as some would make it out to be, there are a few decent dive spots here we just lack the shops really. The only dive shop in town in Nautilus Dive Center, Planet Ocean closed down a year ago. Nautilus is a decent shop, but I would recommend of East Hawaii Divers which is an indepentent down in Pahoa. He drives up to Hilo all the time for dives and is very reasonable and flexible when it comes to diving. I would recommend him over Nautilus any day (I have dealt with both many of times).The number is 808-965-7840 if you are interested. Also, you will get a better price from either East Hawaii Divers or Nautilus than you would get from any place in Kona, tell them you are local if you are going to be living in there, dive shops have a tendency to take advantage of tourists especially if they know they are only going to be here for a little while. As for taking basic course and doing dives over here I think that is a waste, you can get certified for around $200 in hilo, little more if you want a private lesson. But its ultimately your choice. I would stay in Hilo though, there are some good spots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom