Instructor Programs - 4 Weeks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

=C=

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
The third planet (a smaller one but a nice blue hu
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hello,

I searched around a bit and didnt find a thread with it all laid out so I'm going to ask...

Has anyone done one of those 4 week DM to instructor programs in Egypt or Thai?

I would like to beome an instructor and locally the english speaking options are not so good. I have decided I want to go the PADI route as most people know who they are...

What were your result is a hurried PADI instructor course? How much did it cost total? Why did you do it?

Thanks,
C

A lot has been written on this topic. I suggest you do a search in the Thai regional section in particular. I live and work in Thailand. I am not affiliated with a shop and did my training over several years but did work with a Course Director that has helped over 100+ become instructors. Your attitude, abilities and the quality of the school you select are critical. Excellent instruction can be found, but it needs to be the right fit.

Good luck,

Tartullian, my friend, I would begin my response by asking a few questions. I sk these questions with all due respect.

If you prefer, feel free to send your answers to me via PM.

1) Do you want to teach recreational SCUBA or technical diving? Why do you want to teach SCUBA?

2) How long have you been certified? How many dives have you had?

3) What certifications do you currently have?

4) Are you a Divemaster? If so, what agency certified you and when? Also, have you been actively assisting dive classes as a DM?

5) Where do you live?

6) What language do you prefer to learn to teach in?

7) Where do you want to learn to teach? Why?

8) Do you know where you would like to teach SCUBA after you become an Instructor? Why?

9) Do you intend to make a living as an Instructor?

I would urge you to consider working as Divemaster for some time before going teh Intructor route.

Some Instructors have little respect for 30-day Instructor factories. There is real benefit to learning to teach by assisting as a Divemaster in courses.

Tartullian, my friend, I would begin my response by asking a few questions. I sk these questions with all due respect.....
Some Instructors have little respect for 30-day Instructor factories. There is real benefit to learning to teach by assisting as a Divemaster in courses.

Most of this stuff is in my profile... I thought about this before choosing the instructor route. I'll go ahead and fill this out in the hope it makes interesting reading for everyone.

1) Do you want to teach recreational SCUBA or technical diving? Why do you want to teach SCUBA?

REC, Here in Prague, and because I love diving. I've been helping a local instructor with his students for a while but I'd like more than free air fills and perhaps official acknowledgement. ex. "T is an instructor who will helping today..." I think this would make my life a *little* easier. A couple of other things, liability is no so great here that you have to have billions fo dollars of insurance ( my instructor pays about 75US every 6 months but he is IANTD), and in terms of additional risk well I'm diving with strokes pretty often anyway...

2) How long have you been certified? How many dives have you had?

Since 1996, I have a couple of log books, in my last one I have about 68 hours of diving... Its laid out about like this:

longest: 118 min
deepest: 38m (157ft)
average dive: 38min
average depth: 22m (72ft)

3) What certifications do you currently have?

OWD, AOW, RESCUE, NITROX, ADVANCED NITROX

6) What language do you prefer to learn to teach in?

Learn in English, but I speak Czech, German, and Spanish so I may teach in those languages

7) Where do you want to learn to teach? Why?

Somplace warm and with rich tourists...

8) Do you know where you would like to teach SCUBA after you become an Instructor? Why?

Czecho?

9) Do you intend to make a living as an Instructor?

Not entirely... In a wintery country this isnt realistic.

Kind of interesting that a glance at profiles in this thread sort of indicates that those with an open mind are hard to label.

Tartullian,

I recommend you holiday during the dead of winter for the Czech Republic in Thailand. That time of the year favors the Andaman side for diving, so if that is when you will most likely be completing training it makes even more sense to visit. Being multilingual certainly helps your potential student prospects. You could complete your DM training and work during high season and then continue your instructor training at another location in Thailand, such as on the Gulf side. IMO, this would be ideal. Again, your language skills will most likely make this possible. Enjoy the diving and observe first hand if any of the programs are for you. You could complete DM training with one shop but your IDC with another. I would not sign anything site unseen and keep your options open. Package deals look attractive, but if you can swing it $$wise this would be best IMO.

Good luck,

Tartullian, it sounds like you have the type of background that would make you an excellent Instructor.

I wish I had your language skills.

There are some instructor schools in the US, but they can be expensive. Here are two:

- ProDive in ft Lauderdale, FL

- Horizon Divers in Key Largo.

Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom