Instructor Costs & "Tips"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mt PADI OW instructor is letting me slip in on the next session to use the pool to do weight checks and buoyancy practice. Would it be a decent gesture to offer him a tip - or more like compensating him for his time, as he is a professional? I don't want to appear ungracious or offend him either way. He has said not to worry about the tanks as he will have extras for the course anyway.

The way I read this, it appears your OW instructor is going to be at a pool with a class and he is going to let you come and use the pool at the same time. I'm not sure why you would think a tip is appropriate. It's not like he is meeting just you for some extra pool work. In a case like this I don't see a need to tip. But then I don't think you should tip your OW instructor anyway unless you are getting the class for free.

The way I read this, it appears your OW instructor is going to be at a pool with a class and he is going to let you come and use the pool at the same time. I'm not sure why you would think a tip is appropriate. It's not like he is meeting just you for some extra pool work. In a case like this I don't see a need to tip. But then I don't think you should tip your OW instructor anyway unless you are getting the class for free.
the instr is going thru the effort of supplying tanks,and most likely lead too. This person is taking up space at the pool.The instr paid for his insurance,so if something happened there is coverage..As to tipping when taking a class,why not? why should an instructor go out of their way for someone after he explains and demonstrates a skill? The student either gets it or does not get it after a single or multiple attempts.Why should the instructor slow down a class for a student who does not get it? Costs involved in a course are figured into the time utilized.Go over that time frame cost to instr increase,so why should instr slow down program for that problem student and increase his costs? Oh I know,hope and expectation of a reward/tip/sign of appreciation.....Many times instr' s are paid per student not hourly,so I would rather do the course in a set time frame that I actually make money at,if the course is slowed down where it takes me 1 hour or 4 hours longer why should'nt I appreciate/accept a reward/tip? Why should a awful instructor end their day early and a thoughtful instructor make less per hour for a longer course without being rewarded?.
.Too many times people want the best care but are unwilling to pay for it or reward those that offer it.
Just yesterday I completed a ow course for 4 people.All got high passing grade on final except for 1 student who failed.Our facility has a web site that allows student to complete homework online and we can see WHEN it was done.This student did homework at 8am for mod 4 and 5..Class started at 9am..He put NO effort into this.After failing he wanted to take it over immediately after pool work was done,would have required me to stay 1 to 2hrs longer..I said no,go home and study.Why did I do this you may ask:because I knew there would be no compensation from him or the facility to stay late for this 1 student.This 1 student did not purchase mask/snkl/fin from us and even purchased a cheap poor fitting wetsuit from elsewhere and he froze during the pool work when everyone else was comfortable.. Please do not tell me he had no $$--he is going with family to Bonaire and staying at the most expensive resort on the island,Harbor Village..He lives in one of the most expensive areas/highest income areas in the country to live in-Scarsdale NY

Last edited:
the instr is going thru the effort of supplying tanks,and most likely lead too. This person is taking up space at the pool.The instr paid for his insurance,so if something happened there is coverage..As to tipping when taking a class,why not? why should an instructor go out of their way for someone after he explains and demonstrates a skill? The student either gets it or does not get it after a single or multiple attempts.Why should the instructor slow down a class for a student who does not get it? Costs involved in a course are figured into the time utilized.Go over that time frame cost to instr increase,so why should instr slow down program for that problem student and increase his costs? Oh I know,hope and expectation of a reward/tip/sign of appreciation.....Many times instr' s are paid per student not hourly,so I would rather do the course in a set time frame that I actually make money at,if the course is slowed down where it takes me 1 hour or 4 hours longer why should'nt I appreciate/accept a reward/tip? Why should a awful instructor end their day early and a thoughtful instructor make less per hour for a longer course without being rewarded?.
.Too many times people want the best care but are unwilling to pay for it or reward those that offer it.
Just yesterday I completed a ow course for 4 people.All got high passing grade on final except for 1 student who failed.Our facility has a web site that allows student to complete homework online and we can see WHEN it was done.This student did homework at 8am for mod 4 and 5..Class started at 9am..He put NO effort into this.After failing he wanted to take it over immediately after pool work was done,would have required me to stay 1 to 2hrs longer..I said no,go home and study.Why did I do this you may ask:because I knew there would be no compensation from him or the facility to stay late for this 1 student.This 1 student did not purchase mask/snkl/fin from us and even purchased a cheap poor fitting wetsuit from elsewhere and he froze during the pool work when everyone else was comfortable.. Please do not tell me he had no $$--he is going with family to Bonaire and staying at the most expensive resort on the island,Harbor Village..He lives in one of the most expensive areas/highest income areas in the country to live in-Scarsdale NY

WOW. Talk about reading more into something than was intended.

[ I knew there would be no compensation from him or the facility to stay late for this 1 student.This 1 student did not purchase mask/snkl/fin from us and even purchased a cheap poor fitting wetsuit from elsewhere and he froze during the pool work when everyone else was comfortable.. Please do not tell me he had no $$--he is going with family to Bonaire and staying at the most expensive resort on the island,Harbor Village..He lives in one of the most expensive areas/highest income areas in the country to live in-Scarsdale NY[/QUOTE]

I think this says more about you than it does about him and not in a good way.

It seems to me there is two different scenario's here:

The OP is talking about his instructor letting him drop in where some form of thanks would be appreciated by just about any instructor I would think.

And then there is:

oly5050user who seems to be talking about some snot nosed punk that is thinking that oly owes him because he graced him with his presence in his class. Some people just think everyone else owes them and they are entitled to preferential treatment. I can see both sides of this one because I run into to people like that all the time in my line of work.

LowDrag

Last edited:
The OP is talking about his instructor letting him drop in where something form of thanks would be appreciated by just about any instructor I would think.

I probably know 7 or 8 instructors. If any of them were holding a pool session and one of their past OW students asked if they could stop in and use the pool for a little while I don't know of a single instructor that would expect in any way some form of appreciation or tip. A simple "thank you" would be more than enough. Obviously oly5050user would expect/want more.

Mt PADI OW instructor is letting me slip in on the next session to use the pool to do weight checks and buoyancy practice. Would it be a decent gesture to offer him a tip - or more like compensating him for his time, as he is a professional? I don't want to appear ungracious or offend him either way. He has said not to worry about the tanks as he will have extras for the course anyway.
MaverickNH, you should tip as you feel appropriate for services rendered. In addition due to the fact you are getting extra pool time, you might want to help carry tanks and give him something extra. Certainly, a hand shake, a thank you and smile go a long way.
MaverickNH:
And when I look to hire an instructor or DM for either some 1-on-1 instruction or to accompany me on a dive where I have no buddy (I'm thinking traveling, when I don't want to risk an "insta-buddy" stranger), what are the range of rates I might expect?

Thanks from a newbie.
This sevice could run all over the board depending on location. A private instructor for a dive $50 - $350 dive.

A professional dive buddy could cost zero to $100. On our group trips, we try and buddy up with different divers on each dive at no additioal charge.

I was suprised to read the general concensus here. I thought I'd get a lot more in favour of tips. I must say our last dive trip the DM's and instructor were so goodwe bought a "slab" of beer (24 bottles) at the end of our stay as a thank you

I have no problem with tipping the DM's and crew when we go to a dive destination. As a matter of fact I usually tip quite well. I just don't see any reason to tip the instructor in the situation described by the OP.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom