Instinct 52 questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dunx

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi there. I'm really interested in the Instinct 52 - but I'm having some trouble finding good tech info on it.
ie. is the 2nd stage balanced? How about the Instinct 12s - are they the same 2nd stages, just the first stage is different?
Also - I plan on using my reg in temperate waters - california etc. - wondering how the performance will be in colder water?

i don't think mares makes any balanced 2nd stage regs. the instinct 12 vs the 52 is just a diffrent 1st stage. both are balanced diaphragm. the 52 has 2 dfc ports for 2nd and octo. the 1st stages are both fine for your temps and the 2nd would most likely be fine but i don't like the single side exhaust of the instinct. that alone would make me go with the abyss.

Hi there. I'm really interested in the Instinct 52 - but I'm having some trouble finding good tech info on it.
ie. is the 2nd stage balanced? How about the Instinct 12s - are they the same 2nd stages, just the first stage is different?
Also - I plan on using my reg in temperate waters - california etc. - wondering how the performance will be in colder water?

Hi Dunx,

Thanks for your question. The Instinct 52 is a new offering and also a cool color combo (or so I think). The 2nd stages are exactly the same with the exception of color. The 52 1st stage is our highest performance offering. The biggest difference w/ the 52 is the added 2nd DFC dynamic flow control (port). In short this will provide a more constant flow of air to your octo, as well as offering an alternative port to position your primary.

The Instinct 52 will be excellent in cold water. The Mares designed regulators lends themselves to be better in cold enviornments by default anyway. If you are going to be in extreme cold, (think Antarctica), I would suggest the Abyss, because of the all metal 2nd stage. Metal is a better thermal conductor than polymer.

Technically speaking the instinct is a balanced 2nd stage, if it wasn't "balanced" it would free flow. Having said that, It is not balanced in the sense that other companies market their regulators. At the end of the day, with our patented DFC technology incorporated with patented VAD (vortex assist design), we organically or dynamically deliver air in a consistent, high volume fashion, that delivers all the air a diver needs with effortless demand. With out having to mechanically manipulate or "control" the air flow, we can keep the mechanical parts of the 2nd stage to a minimum, reducing wear and tear, performance loss, chance of failure, etc. The idea is, simply put the reg in your mouth, and breathe effortlessly in all conditions, without the need to manipulate airflow to provide the air you need. This allows you to enjoy your dive with out having to think about mechanics or adjusting as you dive.

I hope this helps.

Zak

Hi Zak,
Thanks for your response. I think I'm leaning towards an Abyss now. Although I had a question about the Abyss Octo - on mares.com it states that the Abyss Octo is 427g whereas the regular Abyss 2nd stage is 269g. Is that possible? Or possibly a typo? Not sure if I understand how an Octo could be that much heavier.

D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom